Connect with us

International News

India’s Fight For Kulbhushan in ICJ continues

Sonu Kanojia

Published

on

Hindu World Beaurea

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) in The Hague has adjourned hearing in the case of Kulbhushan Jadhav for lunch break, the alleged Indian spy sentenced to death by a Pakistani military court. After Lunch break the court will start its proceedings again. Indian legal team led by former Solicitor General Harish Salve is arguing the case.

After 18 years, an India-Pakistan dispute is playing out in the world court.

Series of court proceedings 

3.13pm : Court adjourned hearing for lunch break. After lunch break court will hear Pakistan.

3pm: Graver the charges, greater the need for continued adherence of Vienna Convention: Harish Salve.

2.40pm: The trial was conducted without informing Jadhav: Harish Salve tells ICJ.

2.26pm: India tells ICJ it fears Kulbhushan Jadhav will be executed before its arguments are heard in the case.

2.21pm: India refutes Pakistan’s claims against Kulbhushan Jadhav, says he was kidnapped from Iran.

2.15pm: The ICJ appeal has been filed as a measure of desperation, Harish Salve tells the court.

2.12pm: India calls for immediate suspension of Kulbhushan Jadhav’s sentence, accusing Pakistan of violating Vienna Convention of consular access.

2.05pm: India made innumerable requests to Pakistan for consular access which were denied: Harish Salve.

2:04 pm: Deepak Mittal says no response from Pakistan to Kulbhushan Jadhav’s parents’ visa.

2:02 pm: India has been seeking consular access since March 2016, says VD Sharma.

1:58 pm: India may avail a “short extension” beyond 90 minutes to present its case, says ICJ Judge.

1:56 pm: India’s agent in ICJ Deepak Mittal says, “consular access denied repeatedly.”

1:54 pm: India claims that the Jadhav case is violation of Vienna conventions.

1:52 pm: India’s agent Deepak Mittal urges for provisional measures.

1:50 pm: India terms Pakistan military court’s trial as ‘farcical’.

1:46 PM: Joint secretary Deepak Mittal is presenting India’s case at the ICJ.

1:43 pm: India demands suspension of Jadav’s death sentence.

International News

Pervez Musharraf resigns as APML chief

News Desk

Published

on

Former President Pervez Musharraf on Friday resigned from the chairmanship of the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML), the party’s new chairman Mohammad Amjad said.

Party president Dr Mohammad Amjad said Musharraf has sent his resignation letter to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP). Dr Amjad was quoted by a Pak media, as saying that Musharraf had resigned from APML on June 18 in the wake of the Peshawar High Court (PHC) disqualifying him from politics for life.

Earlier this week, the poll body rejected Musharraf’s nomination papers for NA-1 Chitral, after the Supreme Court withdrew its conditional approval for him to file nomination papers for the upcoming general election after he failed to appear before the court.

Speaking to journalists via a video link in Dubai, Musharraf said, “The apex order barring the authorities from arresting me till my appearance before the august court has forced me to rethink my plans about my return. There will be no benefit of my return to the country if I am arrested just after my appearance before the court.”

“The entire world knows that I am not a coward, but now, I will wait for an appropriate time to return,” he added.

Amjad, previously the general secretary of the party, has been elevated to the position of chairman. He will now be directing all party affairs and deciding APML’s role in the elections, the Pakistani media reported.

Continue Reading

International News

US detention camps separate Indian children from their parents

News Desk

Published

on

Immigrants

The children of the Indian detainees who are being kept at detention centres in the United States have been separated from their parents. The Indian embassy has established contact with two detention centres where nearly 100 Indians, mostly from Punjab, are detained for allegedly illegally entering the country through its southern border. The Indian government, however, has not been given consular access to the detainees.

The Indians, who were mostly Punjabi and Hindi speakers, are being held in a federal detention center in Oregon, Washington state, where they were transferred as part of a larger group of 123 people held allegedly for crossing into the US illegally along the border with Mexico weeks ago.

In a statement, the Indian embassy said that a consular official visited the detention facility in Oregon and that the embassy officials will also be visiting the New Mexico centre. “We have established contacts with both the detention facilities. A consular official has visited the detention facility in Oregon and another one is scheduled to visit the detention facility in New Mexico. We are monitoring the situation,” an embassy statement said.

According to a local news daily The Oregonian, some of the Indians identified themselves as Sikhs and Christians who claimed they were fleeing persecution by Hindu majority in India.

A group of Democratic lawmakers from Oregon who visited the facility had spoken about the alleged inhuman condition of the immigrant detainees. Most of the Indians at the detention centres don’t speak English and are communicating with the help of translators.

Asylum seekers are facing increased scrutiny under the Trump administration and those showing up illegally are being subjected to a zero-tolerance policy that has led to an outcry because of the splitting of families. The administration said 10,000 of the 12,000 children in US detention facilities were those who were sent by their parents alone to be smuggled illegally into the United States and the remaining 2,000 were separated from their parents when their families crossed over illegally.

Sources in the Indian embassy said it could be difficult to establish the nationality in certain cases as many of the detainees destroy documents to seek immigration under refugee status, thus what India can do to help them could be limited.

Continue Reading

International News

Trump adamant that denuclearization ‘has already started’

News Desk

Published

on

trump

North Korea has already begun its denuclearization, US President Donald Trump said on Thursday, after many observers greeted with scepticism the results of his historic meeting with the North’s leader Kim Jong Un.

Mr Trump said at a Cabinet meeting in the White House that “they’ve stopped the sending of missiles, including ballistic missiles. They’re destroying their engine site. They’re blowing it up. They’ve already blown up one of their big test sites, in fact, it’s actually four of their big test sites”.

In late May, before the June 12 Trump-Kim summit in Singapore, Pyongyang said it had fully demolished its only known nuclear test site. Foreign journalists who invited to the Pungyye-ri test facility in North Hamgyong province described a series of explosions throughout the day in their reports; three of them in entry tunnels, followed by blasts that demolished nearby barracks and other structures.

It was not immediately clear which North Korean test sites Mr Trump was referring to and US officials familiar with current intelligence on North Korea’s nuclear and missile test sites said there was no evidence of new moves to dismantle any sites since Mr Trump met North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on June 12 in Singapore.

Punggye-ri has been the staging ground for all six of the North’s nuclear tests, including the latest and by far most powerful one in September last year which Pyongyang said was an H-bomb. Experts are divided over whether the demolition will render the site inoperable. Sceptics say the facility has already outlived its usefulness with six successful nuclear tests and can be quickly rebuilt if needed.

Mr Trump, who has been leading an international drive to press North Korea to abandon development of nuclear missiles capable of reaching the United States, told reporters after the June 12 summit that Mr Kim had pledged to dismantle one of his missile installations.

At their summit, Kim and Trump signed a pledge “to work towards complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” a stock phrase favoured by Pyongyang that stopped short of longstanding US demands for North Korea to give up its atomic arsenal in a “verifiable” and “irreversible” way.

Continue Reading

HW News Live TV

Headline

One Min News

Popular Stories