Connect with us

National

Government drafts a law to ban Triple Talaq; Here are five things to know

News Desk

Published

on

The bill makes it illegal for a Muslim man to divorce a woman by uttering Talaq word three times. In case of such incidents, it also puts a punishment of three years of jail term.

The central government has drafted a bill to ban instant Triple Talaq. The age-old practice in the Muslim community had sparked a row after a number of women from the community came out demanding an action against the unfair practice.

The matter was in Supreme Court in August this year. The apex court did term it ‘unconstitutional’, however, it set the ball in Central government’s court by asking it to prepare a bill banning the same.

The draft was prepared by a committee headed by India’s Home Minister Rajnath Singh. It also included Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley and Law Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad among others.

The bill makes it illegal for a Muslim man to divorce a woman by uttering Talaq word three times. In case of such incidents, it also puts a punishment of three years of jail term.

Here are the five things you must know about the bill:

1. The draft law classifies triple talaq as cognizable and non-bailable and has been circulated to states for consultations.

2. It seeks to ban and criminalise triple talaq – whether conveyed in written, spoken or electronic.

3. The draft law will make the offence punishable by three-years jail and a monetary fine.

4. A woman who has been given instant triple talaq will be able to move court, seeking ‘subsistence allowance’ for herself and dependent children, as well as custody of minor children.

5. It will not be applicable to the state of Jammu and Kashmir.

National

Media survey on women in India based on perception, flawed methodology: Hansraj Ahir

Published

on

By

India

New Delhi | The recent international survey, which described India as the world’s most dangerous country for women due to the alleged high risk of sexual violence, was based on “perception” and “flawed methodology”, the Rajya Sabha was informed today.

Union minister of state for home Hansraj Gangaram Ahir said the report was not based on any scientific survey but a poll of a statistically insignificant sample of persons and presents a distorted picture of the comparative state of women safety in different countries.

“The said polling survey has been rejected by the National Commission for Women as it is based on perception and flawed methodology. However, steps have been taken for increasing safety of women,” he said replying to a written question.

The survey by a British media organisation of about 550 experts on issues faced by women claimed last month that India was the world’s most dangerous country for women due to the high risk of sexual violence and being forced into slave labour.

War-torn Afghanistan and Syria ranked second and third, respectively, followed by Somalia and Saudi Arabia.

Continue Reading

National

MiG 21 fighter jet crashes in Himachal’s Kangra; no news on pilot

News Desk

Published

on

A MiG 21 fighter jet of the Indian Air Force crashed in the Kangra district of Himachal Pradesh on Wednesday, the police said.

The accident took place after 1 pm. A video shows the wreckage of the jet which took off from Punjab’s Pathankot, a frontline Indian Air Force base. Visuals from the site of the accident showed a part of the aircraft engulfed in flames, lying in what appears to be a field.

Superintendent of police of Kangra, Santosh Patial said the pilot was missing. The rescue team is on the way, reported a news agency.

In another aviation accident this year, a small aircraft crashed in a crowded Mumbai neighbourhood on June 28, killing five people, including four crew members and a pedestrian.

The Indian Air Force has been the world’s largest operator of the jet, the first variants of which entered service with the air force in the sixties. This is the second Indian Air Force fighter jet crash in two months.

Continue Reading

National

Functioning of the state government is ‘completely paralysed’ despite SC verdict: Delhi government

News Desk

Published

on

New Delhi | The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) led Delhi government on Wednesday told the Supreme Court that the functioning of the state government is “completely paralysed” and it can’t order transfer or posting of officers despite the recent Constitution bench verdict on the administration of Delhi.

The bench of Justices AK Sikri and Navin Sinha said it knows everything and the matter will be taken on July 26 since it is not a regular bench.

Senior advocate P Chidambaram who was representing the Delhi government said, “Functioning of the government is completely paralysed. We cannot post officers, we cannot transfer officers despite the recent constitution bench verdict which has explained every aspect. These issues needs to be adjudicated at the earliest.”

Senior advocate Indira Jaising, who also appeared for the Delhi government, said officers are not willing to file an affidavit on this matter and Delhi Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia had therefore filed the affidavit. “I just wanted to clarify the situation.”

Earlier a five-judge Constitution bench including Chief Justice Dipak Misra recently stated broad parameters for the governance of the Delhi which had a constant power tussle between the Centre and Delhi government since the election of Aam Aadmi Party in 2014.

Continue Reading

HW News Live TV

Headline

One Min News

Popular Stories