Connect with us


Massive fire in Delhi’s Bawana area guts 17; injures two

News Desk



As much as 17 people were burnt to death and two were injured in a horrific fire at a firecracker packaging factory unit in Delhi’s Bawana area.

In a horrific incident, a fire at firecrackers packaging factory in north Delhi’s Bawana region gutted as many as 17 people. According to the reports, the fire started on Saturday evening.

Also Read: Kamala Mills incidence is a clarion call for the party-goers – This new year eve, boycott joints that serve killer hookah!

According to Delhi Fire Service official, the fire was started at the storage unit on the ground floor of a two-storey building. However, the police department is yet to confirm the report. According to police ten women and seven men have died in the mishap. Most of the deceased were the workers in the factory. Most of the people burnt to death while rest died due to choking on smoke.

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal visited the hospitalised victims and announced compensation of ₹5 Lakh each to the family of the deceased and ₹1 Lakh to injured. As the news of fire spread, leaders from all the parties rushed to the spot.

Also Read: Mumbai Police arrests cricket bookie Vishal Karia in connection with Kamala Mills fire

Delhi’s Health Minister Satyendar Jain said, “The factory possessed the license of a chemical factory, however, a firecracker packaging unit was set up here. We have ordered a probe into the matter. The guilty will not be spared.” He also said that according to one of the survivors, the cartons were brought to the factory to package the firecracker and manufacturing did not take place at the site.

Meanwhile, the Delhi police have arrested the owner of the factory- Manoj Jain. They have also filed an FIR under section 304 of IPC for culpable homicide not amounting to murder. He told the police that the factory started operating from January 1. He had rented the place for packaging of firecrackers. Jain also claimed that his company dealt with the packaging of low-intensity “cold firecrackers”, meant to be sold during Holi. However, he admitted that he was running the factory alone. Earlier the Delhi police have suspected that the factory was run in a partnership with Lalit Goel.

A senior Delhi police official, Rajneesh Gupta told the media here that the probe is underway and the police are investigating whether manufacturing of firecracker also took place at the warehouse.


Supreme Court judge recuses from Chhagan Bhujbal’s plea

News Desk



A Supreme Court judge today recused from hearing the former deputy chief minister of Maharashtra Chhagan Bhujbal’s plea, thus challenging the decision of the Bombay High Court and dismissed his petition for bail.

Bhujbal, for that matter, has challenged his arrest under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA). The bench that is headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra has kept the matter for hearing on 26 March and has asked it to be registered before an apt bench which does not have Justice Khanwilkar as its member.

The bench that also has Justice D Y Chandrachud as its member, said, “Let the matter be listed on Monday, March 26 2018 before appropriate bench wherein one of us, namely, Justice A M Khanwilkar is not a member. Registry is directed to do the needful.”

The Bombay High Court had earlier dismissed the petition filed by Bhujbal in which he sought bail and challenged his arrest under PMLA.

Bhujbal was arrested on 14 March 2016 by the ED with regards to Maharashtra Sadan scam and a land case of Kalina in which he and his kin were accused to have received bribes.

Continue Reading


Sonia Gandhi rushed to Delhi at midnight after falling ill in Shimla

News Desk



The sources further stated that Sonia Gandhi experienced breathing problems and was suffering from high blood pressure.

Sonia Gandhi, former Congress President was rushed from Shimla to Delhi yesterday after her health worsened. Sonia had come down to Shimla to review the construction work of Priyanka Gandhi Vadra’s bungalow at Chharabra in Shimla. However, she had to be rushed in exigent conditions to Delhi because of her ill health condition.

This is not the first time when she had to leave her visit midway. Last year in the month of October she had to immediately hospitalized in Delhi.

As per the sources, yesterday at 11 in the night Dr Ramesh Chand, Senior Medical Superintendent of Indira Gandhi Medical College and Hospital had gotten a call for making arrangements for a medical team along with an ambulance so that Sonia Gandhi could be taken to Chandigarh.

The sources further stated that Sonia Gandhi experienced breathing problems and was suffering from high blood pressure. The administration of the hospital had made a request to take her to the medical college for her treatment, however, her staff thought it more appropriate to rush her to Delhi for it.

Seeing this, Dr Ramesh Chand, with his medical team took her to Chandigarh by road and she was taken there in her personal vehicle. From Chandigarh, she was airlifted to Delhi in the night on a chartered flight.

Continue Reading


Charges framed against persons involved in killing of SHO Firoz Ah. Dar: Police

Smita Sahu



Srinagar, March 23: Court has framed charges against the four accused including two slain militants in the killing of SHO Achabal Firoz Ahmed Dar along with his five men on June 16 last year.

A Special Investigation Team (SIT) of JKP was constituted for the investigation of the killings that had filed a detailed charge sheet on 5th February 2017 against four accused persons among the eight named in the case.

The court today framed charges against the four of them including two already killed in separate encounters in the case. The Charges have been framed against Sandeep Kumar Sharma and Mohammad Ashraf Wani besides Bashir Ahmad Wani and Abu Maz, a foreign terrorist Pakistan (both already killed).

The investigation against other accused who are still absconding including Khurshid Ahmad Ganie, Mehraj -Ud-Din Bangroo, Asif,  Sahir Ahmad Makroo and Zeenat-ul-Islam is still going on.

Efforts are on to nab the absconders.

After the registration of FIR in the incident and on the conclusion of investigation into the sensational June 2017 attack in which militants had killed Station House Officer Feroz Ahmad Dar and his five escort personnel in South Kashmir.

The Special Investigation Team (SIT) of the J&K Police had filed a detailed chargesheet on 5th February 2017 against four accused persons among the eight named in the case.

The investigation had “established that LeT terrorists headed by Bashir Lashkari – the main accused —- were involved” in the attack.

Based on the disclosures of Uttar Pradesh resident Sandeep Kumar, another accused in the case, who was arrested from an encounter site on July 1, 2017, in which Bashir Lashkari along with Pakistani militant Abu Maz was killed, the investigators were able to crack the SHO’s murder case. Both Ashraf, hailing from Branti village in Anantnag district, and Sandeep are currently in judicial custody.

In the forefront of anti-militancy operations in the area, SHO Feroz and his men were ambushed and shot at a very close range at 6 pm on June 16 last year at Thajiwara village on the outskirts of Anantnag town while they were returning to the Achabal police station.

Soon after the incident, Lashkar-e-Toiba had claimed responsibility for the attack, in which two civilians were also injured.

In the charge sheet which was filed before the Sessions Court in Anantnag in the first week of last month by SIT head and Superintendent of Police Tahir Ashraf KPS, the police have also named four active militants Khursheed Ahmad Ganai (from Branti in Anantnag), Mehrajuddin Bangroo, alias Asif (Narparistan, Srinagar), Sahir Ahmad Makroo (Bijbehara in Anantnag) and Zeenat-ul-Islam, alias Zeenshah (Malnard Sugan in Shopian), as the accused in the case ,but declared them as absconding.

It states that the main accused Bashir Ahmad Wani, alias Bashir Lashkari (of Kokernag), and Pakistani national Abu Maz were killed in an encounter at Branti in Anantnag on July 1, 2017.

Sandeep, who is also alleged to be involved in other cases involving the theft of ATMs by militants “to earn more money”, confessed before the investigators that he became a conduit for militants after coming in contact with accused Khursheed Gani, who is still absconding.

Next date of hearing is fixed for 28 March.

Continue Reading

Popular Stories