Connect with us

Sports

Abhinav Bindra appointed member of IOC’s elite Athletes’ Commission

Published

on

Abhinav Bindra

New Delhi | India’s champion shooter Abhinav Bindra has been appointed member of the prestigious Athletes’ Commission of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), the rare honour adding another feather to his illustrious cap.

Bindra became only the second Indian sportsperson, after badminton ace Saina Nehwal, to be appointed to the IOC’s Athletes’ Commission.

“Humbled and privileged to be appointed a member of the @Olympics Athlete’s commission. Look forward to work hard for the athletes and the Olympic movement !” Bindra wrote on his twitter handle.

The 35-year-old Bindra, now retired, remains India’s lone individual Olympic gold medallist, having claimed the top prize in men’s 10m air rifle event at the 2008 Beijing Games.

A former world champion who came close to winning a second Olympic medal at the Rio Games in 2016, Bindra shared the IOC letter on his social networking page.

“As every year and as per recommendation 40 of the Olympic Agenda 2020, I have reviewed in consultation with the Chairs the scope and composition of the IOC Commissions. Therefore, it is with great pleasure that I appoint you as a member of the Athletes’ Commission,” IOC president Thomas Bach said in the letter addressed to Bindra.

The IOC chief also mentioned about the composition of the Commission.

“As you are aware, due to the Youth Olympic Games in Buenos Aires in October this year, please note that the Commissions’ meetings for 2018 will exceptionally take place from 14 to 20 January 2019.

“For 2019, we will go back to the previous schedule with the review of the composition of the Commissions in spring and the Commissions’ week in November 2019.

“Thank you in advance for your valuable participation and looking forward to seeing you soon.”

In 2014, Bindra was elected chairman of the International Shooting Sport Federation’s (ISSF) Athletes Committee, becoming the first Indian to receive the honour.

Olympic bronze medallist shuttler Nehwal was appointed member of IOC’s Athletes’ Commissions in October 2016.

Sports

No IPL opening ceremony this year, CoA says allocated money will go to Pulwama martyrs’ families

Published

on

By

New Delhi | The IPL will not have an opening ceremony this year after the Committee of Administrators (CoA) running Indian cricket on Friday decided to allocate the money set aside for it to the families of the CRPF personnel killed in the Pulwama terror attack.

The opening ceremonies of the cash-rich T20 league are a heady mix glitz and glamour with performances by Bollywood stars being the highlight. However, as a mark of respect to the slain CRPF men, it has been decided to scrap the ceremony for the event’s 12th edition beginning March 23.

“We will not have any inaugural function for the IPL and the money budgeted for that goes to the martyrs’ families,” said Committee of Administrators chairman Vinod Rai.

The CoA took the call at a meeting here on Friday.

The Pulwama attack took place last week and its reverberations are being felt in the sporting arena as well. There has been a call to snap sporting ties with Pakistan.

The Rai-led CoA decided against taking any stand on the World Cup clash against Pakistan but said it would individually urge ICC members to “sever ties with any nation that is a terrorist hub”.

Defending champions Chennai Super Kings will take on Royal Challengers Bangalore in the IPL opener on March 23.

Continue Reading

Sports

Low expectations is great place to start from: Hanuma Vihari

Published

on

By

New Delhi | Hanuma Vihari has been punching above his weight ever since he made his India debut and that’s why he is ready to deal with “low expectations” in a bid to change the popular perception of not being good enough for the T20 format in the upcoming IPL.

Vihari is back in the IPL, which starts March 23, with the Delhi Capitals after going unsold at the auction for three years primarily due to an unimpressive strike rate of sub 100. “I think because of the slow strike-rate of the past, people won’t have expectations from me, which can be a great thing. I take it positively, because now I have a chance to prove them all wrong,” Vihari told PTI in an exclusive interview.

The Delhi Capitals have a star-studded top order with Shikhar Dhawan, Prithvi Shaw, skipper Shreyas Iyer and the indomitable Rishabh Pant in the ranks. Vihari knows it will be a fight to get into the playing XI but he is ready to don the role of a finisher the same way he agreed to open for India in unfamiliar conditions in Melbourne.

“Honestly, given that I am playing the IPL after a three-year gap, I am ready to go out there and bat anywhere the management asks me to, whether it’s at the top of the order, or in the role of a finisher. “On my part, I am really in a great mental space and a great position as far as my game is concerned. I am really well-prepared for everything right now,” the 25-year-old Andhra batsman said.

He was a part of Sunrisers Hyderabad in 2013 but a lot has changed since then. He has scored loads of runs for India A and also struck a fifty against England on his Test debut.

“I am excited, and fully ready for the season ahead with Delhi Capitals. Mainly because in these three years, I have developed so much as a player. “I am much more confident of performing now. Also, we have a great mix of Indian and foreign players. I am really looking forward to playing under Shreyas and Ricky’s (Ricky Ponting) leadership,” Vihari said.

The soft-spoken Vihari feels his India stint will make a difference as it has upped his confidence so necessary in a slam-bang tournament. “It gives me a huge boost for sure. I think things have worked out quite timely for me. The IPL opportunity could not have come to me at a better time.”

Told to open a Test innings with another rookie, Mayank Agarwal, against Australia at the MCG, Vihari managed only 8 off 66 balls.

However, what the scoreboard did not reflect was the manner in which Vihari blunted the new ball attack and gave Cheteshwar Pujara the platform to set up the victory with a dogged hundred.

“It was quite tough. At the international level, the challenge of opening the innings is totally different from domestic. The deliveries come fast, and they come high. “The openers obviously are targeted more because the opposition wants early breakthroughs. But it’s exciting as well because walking out there to bat in front of 80,000 people at the MCG is quite an unbelievable feeling. I didn’t sleep the previous night,” he said.

He is most comfortable in the middle order but won’t mind facing the red cherry at the start of an innings if asked to do so once again.

“Yes, I will do whatever is needed for the team. These are situations you face as a sportsman, and you have got to learn to accept it. Whether it’s playing for India or Delhi Capitals, I don’t want to be tagged as the guy who is not a team man. I want to be out there for our team,” Vihari said with conviction.

The best part about that MCG innings was the vote of confidence from national coach Ravi Shastri and captain Virat Kohli. “They said I did a great job. The number of runs didn’t matter. Because of the start, it made Pujara and Kohli’s job easier after that.”

The difference in confidence was evident as he toyed with the Vidarbha attack during his twin hundreds for Rest of India in the Irani Trophy. Asked if the Vidarbha attack bothered him considering he had played the likes of Stuart Broad, Jimmy Anderson, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazelwood in the preceding months?

“Well, the two challenges are different for sure. But against Vidarbha, the wicket was a challenging one. They are a quality side, and I needed to be on top of my game in terms of focus and concentration. I am happy I could score centuries in both innings.” For him, his mother is the biggest source of inspiration, who has helped him stay grounded despite all the adulation coming his way.

“My mother is still the same. She keeps telling me to remain humble and grounded. And she tells me not to settle, just because I have earned my Indian cap doesn’t mean I should stop chasing my dreams.”

He was recognised at the airports on arrival from England and Australia but the best part was coming out and finding his mother waiting to receive him. “She makes it a point to be at the airport each time I am back from a tour. And of course, prepares my favourite dishes when I am home. Anything she cooks is amazing, but her specialty is a dry fruit laddu it’s tasty and healthy.” PTI KHS

Continue Reading

Sports

IOC takes away 2 quotas, spares 14 at Delhi shooting World Cup; NRAI says thanks

Published

on

By

New Delhi | The International Olympic Committee (IOC) decided against withdrawing all the Olympic quotas from the shooting World Cup here and revoked just two after visas were denied to Pakistani shooters in the aftermath of the Pulwama terror attack.

Within hours of International Shooting Federation (ISSF) President Vladimir Lisin’s declaration that all the 16 quotas have been revoked due to the situation with Pakistan, the IOC said the Olympic qualification status has been withdrawn from only the men’s 25m Rapid Fire Pistol event. This event had two spots on offer.

“The IOC restricted the withdrawal of recognition as an Olympic qualification event to the 25m rapid fire pistol competition in which the two Pakistani athletes were supposed to participate,” the IOC said in a statement after its executive board meeting in Lausanne, Switzerland. “This happened in the interest of the other 500 athletes from 61 countries participating in the other events who are already in India for their competition,” it added.

The National Rifles Association of India (NRAI) heaved a sigh of relief a day before the start of the competition.

“The Organising Committee of the New Delhi World Cup wishes to unequivocally thank the ISSF President Vladimir Lisin, the ISSF Secretary General Alexander Ratner, the IOA President Dr. Narinder Batra, and the Minister for Youth Affairs and Sports Col (Retd.) RVS. Rathore for ensuring the best possible outcome to a vexed and complexed scenario,” NRAI President Raninder Singh told PTI.

“…the NRAI is Committed to working with the ISSF, IOA, and the Ministry of sports to ultimately addressing the future consequences of this most peculiar and unprecedented scenario brought on by reasons beyond the regular control of the NRAI and the ISSF. “Both the ISSF and the NRAI shall gracefully comply with the IOC’s findings and hope in a large measure to address the other points raised by the IOC,” he added.

Pakistan shooters’ participation in the tournament became the bone of contention since the terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama killed more than 40 CRPF personnel last Thursday.

Pakistan had applied for visas for two shooters — G M Bashir and Khalil Ahmed — in the rapid fire category as the event in New Delhi also served as a qualifier for the 2020 Olympic games.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Popular Stories

Copyright © 2018 Theo Connect Pvt. Ltd. info@hwnews.in