In yet another tussle between the world ‘s top two economies, US claims China may have secretly set off low-level nuclear test blasts.
Washington: The US State Department said in a report on Wednesday that China may have secretly set off low-level underground nuclear test explosions despite claiming to observe an international pact banning such blasts.
This claim could fuel US-Chinese tensions, yet again.
First reported by the Wall Street Journal, the finding may worsen relations already strained by the US claims that the global COVID-19 pandemic occurred from Beijing’s mishandling of a 2019 outbreak of the novel coronavirus in the central city of Wuhan.
The State Department report said that United States concerns about Beijing’s possible violations of a “zero yield” rule for test blasts have been provoked by activities at China’s Lop Nur nuclear test site during 2019.
‘Zero yield’ refers to a nuclear experiment in which there is no explosive chain reaction of the type ignited by the explosion of a nuclear warhead.
Without providing proof of a low-yield test, the report said: “China’s possible preparation to operate its Lop Nur test site year-round, its use of explosive containment chambers, extensive mining activities at Lop Nur and a lack of clarity on its nuclear testing exercises … grows concerns regarding its compliance to the zero yield standard,”
Chinese lack of clarity involved barring data transmissions from sensors connected to a monitoring centre run by the international agency that verifies adherence with a treaty forbidding nuclear test explosions.
Also Read: Trillion Dollar Club
The Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty of 1996 (CTBT) allows exercises intended to ensure the safety of nuclear weapons.
The Wall Street Journal reported a spokeswoman for the CTBT Organization telling that there had been no interruptions in data transmissions from China’s 5 sensor stations since the end of August’19 following an interruption that began in 2018.
China was committed to a moratorium on nuclear tests and said the United States was making false accusations, Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian told a daily briefing in Beijing.
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.