Connect with us

International News

Maldives emergency: Government says India’s statement is a “clear distortion of facts”

News Desk

Published

on

emergency

Brushing aside India’s concern, the Maldivian government said that India’s statement “ignore facts and ground realities of the Maldives”.

 

A day after New Delhi expressed dismay and deep concern over the extended period of the state of Emergency in the Maldives, the Maldivian counterpart has called it a “clear distortion of facts”. Brushing aside India’s concern, the Maldivian government said that India’s statement “ignore facts and ground realities of Maldives”.

A state of Emergency has been imposed in the Maldives by the President Abdulla Yameen following his deadlock with Supreme Court of Maldives. As soon as the emergency was announced, CJI along with other Supreme Court judges was arrested.

The Ministry of External Affairs on Wednesday issued a statement which expressed India’s deep disappointment with the 30 days extension of the emergency in the Maldives. The statement read, “The manner in which the extension of the State of Emergency was approved by the Majlis in contravention of the Constitution of Maldives is also a matter of concern.”

The statement further observed that the Maldivian government must ensure that all the democratic institutions are allowed to function in accordance with the Constitution. Before the extension of emergency in the Maldives, the Indian government had issued a statement expressing that the normalcy will be restored in the Maldives soon. MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar tweeted, “It is our expectation that the Government of Maldives will not be seeking the extension of the State of Emergency and resume the political process with immediate effect.”

However, the government of Maldives still went against the request and extended the emergency period for more 30 days. In a response to India’s statement, Maldives said that the government recognizes the country is going through one of the most difficult periods in History. Further criticizing India’s stance, it read, “It is therefore important that friends and partners in the international community, including India, refrain from any actions that could hinder resolving the situation.”

However, the statement also asserted that the Maldives looks forward to working closely with the international community including India and if these nations have any issue, the Maldivian government will address it.

International News

Pervez Musharraf resigns as APML chief

News Desk

Published

on

Former President Pervez Musharraf on Friday resigned from the chairmanship of the All Pakistan Muslim League (APML), the party’s new chairman Mohammad Amjad said.

Party president Dr Mohammad Amjad said Musharraf has sent his resignation letter to the Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP). Dr Amjad was quoted by a Pak media, as saying that Musharraf had resigned from APML on June 18 in the wake of the Peshawar High Court (PHC) disqualifying him from politics for life.

Earlier this week, the poll body rejected Musharraf’s nomination papers for NA-1 Chitral, after the Supreme Court withdrew its conditional approval for him to file nomination papers for the upcoming general election after he failed to appear before the court.

Speaking to journalists via a video link in Dubai, Musharraf said, “The apex order barring the authorities from arresting me till my appearance before the august court has forced me to rethink my plans about my return. There will be no benefit of my return to the country if I am arrested just after my appearance before the court.”

“The entire world knows that I am not a coward, but now, I will wait for an appropriate time to return,” he added.

Amjad, previously the general secretary of the party, has been elevated to the position of chairman. He will now be directing all party affairs and deciding APML’s role in the elections, the Pakistani media reported.

Continue Reading

International News

US detention camps separate Indian children from their parents

News Desk

Published

on

Immigrants

The children of the Indian detainees who are being kept at detention centres in the United States have been separated from their parents. The Indian embassy has established contact with two detention centres where nearly 100 Indians, mostly from Punjab, are detained for allegedly illegally entering the country through its southern border. The Indian government, however, has not been given consular access to the detainees.

The Indians, who were mostly Punjabi and Hindi speakers, are being held in a federal detention center in Oregon, Washington state, where they were transferred as part of a larger group of 123 people held allegedly for crossing into the US illegally along the border with Mexico weeks ago.

In a statement, the Indian embassy said that a consular official visited the detention facility in Oregon and that the embassy officials will also be visiting the New Mexico centre. “We have established contacts with both the detention facilities. A consular official has visited the detention facility in Oregon and another one is scheduled to visit the detention facility in New Mexico. We are monitoring the situation,” an embassy statement said.

According to a local news daily The Oregonian, some of the Indians identified themselves as Sikhs and Christians who claimed they were fleeing persecution by Hindu majority in India.

A group of Democratic lawmakers from Oregon who visited the facility had spoken about the alleged inhuman condition of the immigrant detainees. Most of the Indians at the detention centres don’t speak English and are communicating with the help of translators.

Asylum seekers are facing increased scrutiny under the Trump administration and those showing up illegally are being subjected to a zero-tolerance policy that has led to an outcry because of the splitting of families. The administration said 10,000 of the 12,000 children in US detention facilities were those who were sent by their parents alone to be smuggled illegally into the United States and the remaining 2,000 were separated from their parents when their families crossed over illegally.

Sources in the Indian embassy said it could be difficult to establish the nationality in certain cases as many of the detainees destroy documents to seek immigration under refugee status, thus what India can do to help them could be limited.

Continue Reading

International News

Trump adamant that denuclearization ‘has already started’

News Desk

Published

on

donald trump

North Korea has already begun its denuclearization, US President Donald Trump said on Thursday, after many observers greeted with scepticism the results of his historic meeting with the North’s leader Kim Jong Un.

Mr Trump said at a Cabinet meeting in the White House that “they’ve stopped the sending of missiles, including ballistic missiles. They’re destroying their engine site. They’re blowing it up. They’ve already blown up one of their big test sites, in fact, it’s actually four of their big test sites”.

In late May, before the June 12 Trump-Kim summit in Singapore, Pyongyang said it had fully demolished its only known nuclear test site. Foreign journalists who invited to the Pungyye-ri test facility in North Hamgyong province described a series of explosions throughout the day in their reports; three of them in entry tunnels, followed by blasts that demolished nearby barracks and other structures.

It was not immediately clear which North Korean test sites Mr Trump was referring to and US officials familiar with current intelligence on North Korea’s nuclear and missile test sites said there was no evidence of new moves to dismantle any sites since Mr Trump met North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on June 12 in Singapore.

Punggye-ri has been the staging ground for all six of the North’s nuclear tests, including the latest and by far most powerful one in September last year which Pyongyang said was an H-bomb. Experts are divided over whether the demolition will render the site inoperable. Sceptics say the facility has already outlived its usefulness with six successful nuclear tests and can be quickly rebuilt if needed.

Mr Trump, who has been leading an international drive to press North Korea to abandon development of nuclear missiles capable of reaching the United States, told reporters after the June 12 summit that Mr Kim had pledged to dismantle one of his missile installations.

At their summit, Kim and Trump signed a pledge “to work towards complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula,” a stock phrase favoured by Pyongyang that stopped short of longstanding US demands for North Korea to give up its atomic arsenal in a “verifiable” and “irreversible” way.

Continue Reading

HW News Live TV

Headline

One Min News

Popular Stories