New Delhi: On Monday, Delhi Police commissioner Rakesh Asthana has denied the claims of attempts of hoisting saffron flags at a local mosque in Delhi’s Jahangirpuri during the Hanuman Jayanti ‘Shobha Yatra’ procession, news agency PTI reported.
“Some people were trying to spread rumours on social media to keep the situation tense,” he said.
Asthana said that permission wasn’t sought for Jahangirpuri Shobha Yatra by organisers. Action is being taken against them.
The Delhi Crime Branch is probing the violence which took place during the Hanuman Jayanti procession in Delhi’s Jahangirpuri. Two accused Ansar and Aslam have been sent to 1-day police custody while 12 accused are in judicial custody.
Speaking with news agency ANI Asthana said, “Four teams of forensics examined the spot today. 14 teams of police are investigating the case from different angles. The investigation is in the initial phase. A total of 21 people were arrested & some others are on remand.”
“As of now, three fire arms recovered. A forensic examination will be done on the recovery. Restrictions in the Jahangirpuri area were imposed to create a sense of safety. The police deployment will be decreased after the situation gets better,” he added.
23 individuals have been arrested so far in connection with Jahangirpuri Violence. Nine people including police personnel and one civilian received injuries during the incident.
On the way to detain the man allegedly involved in violence, Delhi Police Team was attacked. The suspect was caught on camera. He was firing a pistol during the violence. According to the police officials, a police officer was hit by a stone thrown by the man’s family. The police said the situation has been contained and there is no violence.
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.