Nagaland Civilians Killing Case: Nagaland Tribal Body Seeks Immediate Punishment

indian Army

Kohima: Konyak Civil Society Organizations, an influential Naga tribal body, has sought immediate punishment of the security personnel involved in the matter. Earlier this month, in a mistake by the forces, 14 civilians died in Nagaland's Mon district.

In a statement, the Konyak Civil Society Organisations stated that the Centre must immediately sanction order for persecution of those Indian Army officers involved in the killing of those 14 innocent people on December 4 and 5.

"Those 21 Para Special Forces involved in the massacre of the 14 Konyak youths must be persecuted immediately," said the statement.

They have also warned that any deform with the truth will be considered as an act against the Konyak.

"Hence the onus lies on the Government of India to prove whether the Konyaks are its citizens or not," the statement added.

The statement signed by S Howing Konyak, president of Konyak Union, Ponglem Konyak, president of KNSK and Noklem Konyak, president of Konyak Students' Union further said that justice delayed will be considered as justice denied.

The Konyak CSOs have warned that all those agencies involved should not take advantage of the so-called existing laws as implied under the Indian judiciary system.

Questioning the Indian army inquiry team's visit to the incident site of Oting village on December 29, the Konyak CSOs doubted the credibility of the team and were also not happy with the questions and interrogations made by those witnesses who were present at ground zero on December 4.

"Such visit should not be an act to appease the victims/situations, but justice through persecution must be delivered in the public domain within 30 days," said the statement.

On the other hand, the Konyak CSOs emergency meeting held on December 27 resolved and declared that the Oting Yatong massacre site was the 'Genocide site'.

The Court of Inquiry constituted by the Indian Army to investigate the Mon incident visited the site at Oting village and Tizit police station on Wednesday.

The inquiry team, headed by a senior rank officer, a Major General, inspected the site to understand the circumstances in which the incident could have happened.

On the other hand, the Indian army on Wednesday allowed Nagaland's Special Investigation Team (SIT) to examine and record statements of the officers and jawans of 21 Para Special Forces who were involved in the firing incident which took place at Oting village in Mon district where 13 civilians were killed in botched ambush.

14 civilians and one security personnel died in the violent incidents in Mon district on December 4 and 5.


Next Story
Share it
Top
To Top