2-year-old pulled out dead from borewell after 109-hour rescue operation

Chandigarh | After 109 hours of the battle for survival in the 150-feet borewell, 2-year-old Fatheveer Singh was declared dead when he was pulled out on Tuesday morning.

The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) team after a long 5-day effort pulled out the child from an unused borewell and was rushed to the PGI Chandigarh when he was declared brought dead at the hospital.

Speaking on the incident, the officials said,” Fatehveer Singh fell into an unused borewell in Bhagwanpura village of Sangrur district last Thursday at around 4 pm when he was playing near his house. The seven-inch-wide borewell was covered with a cloth and the child accidentally stepped on it. His mother tried to rescue him but failed.”

Expressing his condolence on the tragic incident, Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Twitter wrote,” “Very sad to hear about the tragic death of young Fatehveer. I pray that Waheguru grants his family the strength to bear this huge loss,” he wrote. He also said he has sought from all the deputy commissioners in the state “so that such terrible accidents can be prevented in the future”.

The Chief Minister has also ordered the District administration to ensure that no such open borewell exists in any of the districts & have asked them to submit a report within 24 hours. CM Amarinder Singh has also released a helpline number 0172-2740397 to provide information about open borewells.

The NDRF team had dug a parallel borewell of 36 inches to pull out the child who was stuck at the depth of 125 feet in the 150 feet borewell. The officials were unable to provide food or water to the child but managed to supply oxygen for 5 days.

Dear Readers,
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.

Related posts