HW English
International National

BCCI Faces Flak After It’s Decision To Retain Chinese Sponsors For IPL

BCCI official, speaking to IANS, said that the matter was discussed in the meeting and it was decided to continue with VIVO as title sponsors.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), in its governing council meeting on Indian Premier League (IPL) on Sunday, decided to continue with the Chinese smartphone company Vivo for title sponsor of the IPL. The decision has been taken amid heated debate on India-Chian ties after a clash last month in Galwan valley.

BCCI official, speaking to IANS, said that the matter was discussed in the meeting and it was decided to continue with VIVO as title sponsors.

“The BCCI has taken this decision after the perusal of the sponsorship agreement and the ownership pattern and upon receiving legal advice in the matter,” the official added.

On June 19, BCCI had tweeted from its IPL handle, “Taking note of the border skirmish that resulted in the martyrdom of our brave jawans, the IPL governing council has convened a meeting next week to review IPL’s various sponsorship deals.”

The opposition did not miss the opportunity to take a jibe at the Modi government after BCCI’s decision to continue with the Chinese sponsor. The IPL is scheduled to take place in the United Arab Emirates from September 19 to November 10.

This comes after the central government decide to ban 59 Chinese apps such as TikTok, WeChat, Cam Scanner, citing threat to national security and sovereignty.

Congress spokesperson Randeep Singh Surjewala not only accused BJP of “double-standards” but also took a jibe at the Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan coined by PM Modi. He said, “Wither #AatmaNirbharBharatAbhiyan. Welcome back Cricket-China-profiteering and double standards. #BJPExposed.”

Former J&K CM Omar Abdullah also slammed the decision of retaining the sponsor.  “Chinese cell phone makers will continue as title sponsors of the IPL while people are told to boycott Chinese products,” he said in his tweet, adding, “It’s no wonder China is thumbing its nose at us when we are so confused about how to handle Chinese money/investment/sponsorship/advertising.”

“I feel bad for those idiots who threw their Chinese made TVs off their balconies only to see this happen,” he said referring to a video that had gone viral after the boycott of Chinese products started trending, in which a person was seen throwing his Chinese-made TV off the balcony in a display of his protest.

 

Related posts

Pakistan violating ceasefire since abrogation of Article 370

News Desk

“Terrorist Go Back”, Bhopal university student protest against Pragya Thakur

News Desk

India poised to become third-largest consumer market: WEF

PTI