Mumbai | The Bombay High Court on Tuesday rejected gangster and 1993 bomb blast convict Abu Salem’s plea for a 45-day parole for getting married.
Salem’s lawyers told the court that he was entitled for parole leave under the prison rules and that he has been in custody since 2005 and has till date not misused any of the permission nor has he violated any rules and regulations of the prison. He further added that he has undergone 16 years of imprisonment, three in Portugal and 13 in India.
Abu Salem’s application stated “Having regard to the peculiarity, affection and love attached to the relation between the petitioner and the said girl Bahar who he intends to get married to, his present request may kindly be considered on humanitarian grounds at the earliest. It is submitted that he cannot shun off his duty towards her since he has promised to marry her and she also does not intend to get married to anyone else other than him.”
The gangster who was deported from Portugal had earlier applied in the divisional court for a parole to marry a girl named Sayed Bahar Kausar, alias Heena. He is currently serving a life sentence in Navi Mumbai’s Taloja Jail for his role in the 1993 Mumbai blasts.
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.