Connect with us

National

Navy has deployed 5 remotely-operated vehicles to rescue trapped miners: Meghalaya to SC

Published

on

Meghalaya; miners

New Delhi | The Meghalaya government informed the Supreme Court Friday that the Indian Navy has deployed five remotely-operated vehicles (ROVs) in the operation to rescue 15 miners trapped inside an illegal coal mine in East Jaintia Hills district since December 13.

The state government told a bench of Justices A K Sikri and S Abdul Nazeer that one crore litre of water has been pumped out so far from the illegal mine but seepage from nearby rivers was creating hurdles in the rescue operation.

The bench sought to know from the state’s counsel as to whether any action had been taken against those indulging in illegal mining activities there.

The counsel told the court that the person running the illegal mine where the incident took place had been arrested.

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, appearing for the Centre, told the court that every possible step has been taken for the rescue operation and the Indian Air Force has deployed planes and helicopters for airlifting requisite equipment and manpower.

The bench has posted the matter to January 18 for further hearing.

The apex court is hearing a public interest litigation (PIL) filed by Aditya N Prasad who has sought urgent steps to rescue 15 miners trapped in the illegal coal mine in Meghalaya’s East Jaintia Hills district.

National

Javed Akhtar could have called us: ‘PM Narendra Modi’ producer Sandip Ssingh on credit row

Published

on

By

Javed Akhtar

Apart from Javed Akhtar, another veteran lyricist, Sameer, had said that he was surprised to find his name in the credits. 

 

Mumbai| Producer Sandip Singh, whose latest film “PM Narendra Modi” is embroiled in a controversy after Javed Akhtar expressed shock over getting credit for a song in the biopic, says the noted lyricist could have shared his grievance personally.

The 74-year-old writer’s name was mentioned in the credits of the film’s trailer alongside lyricists Prasoon Joshi, Sameer, Abhendra Kumar Upadhyay, Sardar, Parry G and Lavraj.

“Javed sahab is a senior writer in our country. We have grown up listening to his songs. We have used one of his old songs ‘Ishwar Allah’ from ‘1947: Earth’ and gave him credit. T-series is our music partner.

“I did not get any call from him and so I also did not call him. He spoke about it on Twitter, so even I replied there. But he could have called us,” Singh told PTI.

Apart from Akhtar, another veteran lyricist, Sameer, had said that he was surprised to find his name in the credits.

In his response, Singh said on Saturday that they gave credit to Sameer because they had incorporated his song “Suno gaur se Duniya walon” from the film “Dus”.

The trailer of the Omung Kumar-directed film, featuring Vivek Oberoi in the lead, released on Wednesday.

When asked about the response to the trailer, Singh said, “We can’t always have everyone like our work. We welcome all the criticism and we will learn from it.”

The film, which also features Boman Irani, Manoj Joshi, Zarina Wahab and Prashant Narayanan, releases on April 5.

Continue Reading

National

Vice Admiral Karanbir Singh becomes the new Navy Chief

News Desk

Published

on

navy

 New Delhi| The Modi government on Saturday appointed Vice-Admiral Karanbir Singh as the next Naval Chief of Staff. He will take over the charge from former Navy Chief Sunil Lamba. Vice Admiral Singh has been serving as the Flag Officer Commanding in Chief of the Eastern Naval Command in Visakhapatnam. According to a news agency, Lamba will retire as the Navy Chief on May 31, 2019.

The Vice-Admiral in his career spanning over 36 years has served as the Fleet Operations Officer of the Western Fleet. He has also been Joint Director Naval Air Staff at the Naval Headquarters, Captain Air and Officer-in-Charge of the Naval Air Station at Mumbai and as a member of the Aircrew Instrument Rating and Categorisation Team (AIRCATS).

 

 

 

 

Continue Reading

National

In the election month, 4.74 Cr farmers to get second installment of PM Kisan Scheme

Published

on

By

PM Kisan

Ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, the Centre announced the Rs 75,000-crore Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM Kisan) scheme.

 

New Delhi| About 4.74 crore small and marginal farmers registered under the PM-Kisan scheme before the Model Code of Conduct (MCC) for general election came into effect on March 10 will get the second instalment of Rs 2,000 each in their bank accounts, a senior government official said Saturday.

Of these 4.74 crore beneficiaries, 2.74 crore farmers have so far received the first instalment and the rest will be covered by month-end, he said.

The Election Commission of India (ECI) has allowed the Union Agriculture Ministry to transfer the first and second tranche of the payment to all those beneficiaries registered under the scheme before March 10, the official added.

Ahead of the Lok Sabha polls, the Centre announced the Rs 75,000-crore Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM Kisan) scheme under which Rs 6,000 per year would be disbursed in three instalments to around 12 crore farmers who hold cultivable land up to 2 hectares.

In the budget, the NDA government allocated a sum of Rs 20,000 crore, to transfer Rs 2,000 each to farmers in the first instalment by March-end, for the ongoing fiscal under the scheme.

The PM Kisan scheme was formally launched at the national level by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 24 at Gorakhpur in Uttar Pradesh by transferring the first instalment to 1.01 crore farmers, amounting Rs 2,021 crore.

“We were hoping to have the data of 12 crore farmers from across the country. But the data of 4.74 crore farmers have come before the MCC was enforced,” the official told PTI.

The government has already released the first instalment of Rs 2,000 each to 2.74 crore beneficiaries and the remaining will be covered before this month-end, he said.

With regard to the payment of the second tranche to begin from April 1, the official said the ECI has allowed making the payment to all those beneficiaries registered before the MCC kicked in.

“We can go ahead and make the payment of the first instalment to the rest of the people whose names are on the portal. We can go ahead and make the payment for the second instalment as well,” the official said.

In Uttar Pradesh, the first instalment has been released to around one crore farmers so far and the Centre has received data of additional 66 lakh farmers.

The official further said that Punjab and Haryana are amongst the top beneficiary states as more than 80 per cent of the farmers registered under the PM Kisan scheme have received the first instalment.

While, some states including West Bengal, Delhi and Sikkim have yet not submitted the farmers’ data and therefore no money has been transferred.

The official also mentioned that no fresh data has come from states after the MCC came into effect.

Continue Reading

Popular Stories

Copyright © 2018 Theo Connect Pvt. Ltd. info@hwnews.in