“Willing To Forego My Pension If Agniveers Not Entitled To Receive One” : Varun Gandhi On Agnipath Scheme

Varun Gandhi

Varun Gandhi, a BJP MP, launched a new attack on the central government, criticizing the “no pension provision” for Agniveers.

On Friday, BJP MP Varun Gandhi fired a new volley at the Central government over the government’s new ‘Agnipath’ scheme for contract recruitment of armed defense personnel. Gandhi questioned the government’s plan not to provide pensions to Agniveers.

The BJP MP tweeted on his official Twitter account, “Agniveers who serve for a brief time have no right to a pension, so why has this ‘comfort’ been granted to public representatives? If those who defend the country are not entitled to a pension, I am willing to forego one. Can we MLAs and MPs give up our pensions to ensure that the Avengers get theirs?”

On June 14, the Centre announced a new short-term recruitment policy for Indian adolescents to serve in the armed forces. The Agnipath scheme will allow young people aged 17.5 to 21 to be inducted as ‘Agniveers’ into any of the three services for four years. In each batch, 25% of Agniveers will be chosen for the permanent cadre in the armed forces, while the remaining 75% will be discharged of duty with no gratuity or pension benefits.

The new scheme sparked widespread protests across the country, with railways and public and private property being vandalized, destroyed, or attacked in several parts of the country. As a one-time exception, the government has raised the upper age limit from 21 to 23. The military leadership had stated that the Agnipath scheme would not be scrapped and that people who participated in protests and violence would not be recruited.


The BJP MP from Philbhit has previously condemned the Centre over the Agnipath scheme. Previously, he stated that the policy would increase youth discontent and requested the administration clarify its position.

He also questioned the central government’s intention to give Agniveers work prospects. He had written to Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, pleading with him to make the government’s position on the project clear.

When it comes to the military forces, security, and the future of the youth, the BJP leader stated that it is not proper for a sensitive government to “strike first and consider later.”

Recently, the federal government has implemented several adjustments and assistance measures to ease concerns about the Agnipath recruitment process for the armed forces.

The Centre’s Ministry of Home Affairs and numerous state governments have announced that Agniveers, or young soldiers recruited through the initiative, will be given preference in filling police force openings. Several other ministries have also indicated their support for the Agnipath plan, which aims to improve the capacities of Agniveers and safeguard their future.

Dear Readers,
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.

Related posts