Former Mumbai Police Commissioner Param Bir Singh suspended

Mumbai: The Maharashtra government today suspended former Mumbai Police Commissioner Parambir Singh on the allegation of extortion. Orders have been sent to the DGP of Maharashtra to serve the suspension on Parambir and another DCP rank officer.

After returning from a three-week hospitalization, Chief minister Uddhav Thackeray cleared the file for the suspension of Singh.

Singh is facing a slew of FIRs in Mumbai and the satellite towns after the seizure of explosives outside Antilia and the murder of Thane businessman Mansukh Hiren. Senior inspector Pradeep Sharma and assistant police inspector Sachin Waze were arrested in the case. Later, Param Bir Singh alleged that the government and Home minister Anil Deshmukh had asked to make a collection of Rs 100 crore.

DGP Sanjay Pandey had sent a proposal to suspend all those who are involved and named in the FIRs filed in the Param Bir Singh case but it was sent back by the additional chief secretary (Home) Manukumar Shrivastava who wanted specific roles to be defined.

Thereafter, a proposal to suspend Singh and a DCP was moved. It was cleared by Home Minister Dilip Walse Patil many days back but was waiting for a final nod from the CM. The final orders will be issued by Thursday evening.

Param Bir Singh, who was recently declared an ‘offender’ by the local Magistrate court, arrived in Mumbai in November and joined the police investigation in an alleged extortion case registered against him.

Singh appeared before Kandivali Police on November 25 to join the probe as ordered by the Supreme Court, a day after informing the media that he was in Chandigarh.

Since last May, the IPS officer was ‘untraceable’. He faces at least five extortion cases and is being probed by a government-appointed panel.

Later, Singh stirred up controversy by writing to Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray accusing the then Maharashtra home minister Anil Deshmukh of corruption. Deshmukh was arrested by the Enforcement Directorate and is currently in judicial custody.

Since his transfer as Commandant-General of the Maharashtra State Home Guards, Singh has been ‘off-duty’ for nearly six months.

Dear Readers,
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.

Related posts