Delhi Riot Accused & Suspended AAP MLA Tahir Hussain Arrested

Hussain has been booked in the murder case of IB staffer Ankit Sharma in northeast Delhi during the recent violence over the new citizenship law.

New Delhi| Suspended AAP councillor Tahir Hussain who was allegedly absconding after he was linked to the death of an IB officer in the Delhi violence, has been arrested by a team of an inter-state cell of Delhi Police’s crime branch on Friday.

Speaking to India Today which tracked down the riot accused, Tahir claimed to be a victim of a witch hunt.

Hussain had on Tuesday moved a Delhi court for anticipatory bail and the court had deferred it for Thursday.

“I am not at fault. I had called the police multiple time on February 24. I had left the area that day. The violence broke out on February 25,” Hussain told TV channel India Today. “My Allah knows I am not guilty.”

“There is no other option, but to surrender,” he said further. He also said that he is available for all kinds of tests, including a narco-analysis.

Hussain also said that he is staying near Delhi. He reiterated that he was rescued by the police on February 24 and left the area with his family.

Also Read: After Jamia, Delhi’s Seelampur and Jaffarabad area burn; stones and brick pelted on Police

Before surrendering in the court, Tahir Hussain told India Today that he was innocent and a riot victim himself. “My family and I ran away from rioters and the police were also informed about it. On February 24, I left with my family in the presence of police. The police took possession of the building,” Tahir Hussain added.

The police had registered an FIR against Hussain on a complaint by Sharma’s father. The former AAP leader has been charged under Sections 365 (kidnapping and abduction) and 302 (murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

On its Twitter handle on Tuesday, the Delhi Police referred to media reports claiming that Hussain had been rescued from his home as violence raged in northeast Delhi last week.

The police said that on the intervening night of February 24 and 25, security forces deployed at Chand Bagh received information that a crowd had surrounded the councillor’s residence, but upon reaching there it found the information was incorrect and he was available.

Dear Readers,
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.

Related posts