Connect with us

Politics

Govt to expedite campaign to rid country of the corrupt: PM Modi

Published

on

modi bjp

Kurukshetra (Haryana) | Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday said his government will speed up the campaign to rid the country of the corrupt, claiming that only such people had a problem with him while the honest trusted the ‘chowkidar’.

Modi sought people’s support in the campaign while addressing a gathering here at the “Swachh Shakti 2019”, an event to recognise the leadership role played by rural women in the Swachh Bharat Mission towards achieving a clean and open defecation free (ODF) country by October 2 this year.

The PM also inaugurated and laid the foundation stone for six projects, including the National Cancer Institute in Jhajjar, Shri Krishna Ayush university in Kurukshetra and ESIC Medical College and Hospital at Faridabad from here.

“In 2014, you gave your votes for an honest and transparent government. Middlemen and those who snatched the rights of the poor have been eradicated from the system,” Modi told the gathering.

“Every honest person in the country trusts this ‘chowkidar’ (watchman), but those who are corrupt, have a problem with Modi,” he said.

Modi said some people in Haryana are worried over the ongoing investigations by probe agencies against them.

“Even in Haryana, you are witnessing how some people are worried because of probe by investigating agencies,” he said without naming anyone.

There are investigations against former Haryana chief minister Bhupinder Singh Hooda and Congress president Rahul Gandhi’s brother-in-law Robert Vadra for alleged irregularities in land deals in the state.

The Prime Minister also mocked the opposition’s proposed grand alliance as “maha-milawat”, saying all the faces in this are indulging in threatening and abusing Modi.

“All the faces of this ‘maha-milawat’ are indulging in competition of threatening and abusing investigating agencies, court and Modi,” he said while assuring that “this ‘chowkidar’ will neither be threatened or browbeaten with their threats and abuses, will neither stop nor bow down”.

“Our ‘safai’ campaign to rid this country of the corrupt and the dirt is going to be further speeded up. For this campaign, your blessings should continue,” the PM said.

The ‘Swachh Shakti 2019’ event partaken by Modi was attended by over 15,000 woman sarpanchs and women across the country and the state associated with the ‘Swachhta’ campaign.

Referring to ‘Battles of Panipat Museum’, the foundation stone for which was laid by him, Modi, in a veiled attack on the Nehru-Gandhi family, said, “Some people think that country’s history started from 1947 and that too with a single family and this has cut the country from the roots of history.”

On his flagship programme of constructing toilets across the country, he said there had been people who had mocked him for speaking about it from the ramparts of the Red Fort.

“At that time those who were in power earlier mocked me, criticised me, called me names, and asked what kind of PM I am for having spoken about toilet from the Red Fort, but those were people who had no concern for the problem and pain of women of the country,” Modi said.

He, however, said that he will continue with his efforts, adding “the taunts of those born with gold spoon do not affect me”.

Modi said 10 crore toilets have been constructed in the last over four years, as he called upon people to ensure they are used so that there is no open defecation.

The PM said a large number of women in rural areas were working hard to ensure cleanliness and credited them for being on the forefront of the Swachhta campaign.

Modi also hailed the efforts of authorities concerned in ensuring cleanliness in the ongoing Kumbh Mela, a mega event which has been visited by crores of people from India and abroad, in Uttar Pradesh’s Allahabad.

He said that 5.5 lakh villages in 600 cities have turned ODF, adding that the Swachata campaign is not only helping women get rid of embarrassment and pain but also turning out to be a mode of employment generation.

As per estimates, almost 45 lakh people got employment opportunities under this campaign, he said.

Reminding the promise of Swachh Bharat by October 2, 2019, he said, “I want to remind you that on October 2 this year, on Mahatma Gandhi’s 150th birth anniversary, we have promised Swachh Bharat by that day. There will be an important role of women in fulfilling this promise”.

Politics

Pulwama attack: Shiv Sena MLC wants boycott of tourism in Jammu and Kashmir

Published

on

By

CRPF

Mumbai | Against the backdrop of the Pulwama terrorist attack that claimed lives of 40 CRPF personnel, a Shiv Sena MLC wants people from other parts of India to boycott tourism in Jammu and Kashmir for two years.

Sena legislator and spokesperson Manisha Kayande said boycotting tourism in Jammu and Kashmir, “where youth, women and children pelt stones on security forces”, would hurt the economic resources of the northern state. “The need of the hour is to counter the mentality of keeping the state on tenterhooks by targeting Indian jawans,” she said in a statement issued on Saturday.

Noting that Jammu and Kashmir is a beautiful state that attracts visitors from across the globe, Kayande said, “Tourism benefits the local people. If these resources earned are used against the country and the security forces, Indians should boycott tourism in the state for next two years.”

“Whenever there is an encounter between militants and security agencies, locals pelt stones on jawans to help militants get away,” she claimed. The Sena leader also demanded boycott of all Chinese goods, saying that country was supportive of Pakistan, which has been fomenting trouble in India.

China on Friday condemned the Pulwama terror attack carried out by a Jaish suicide bomber but declined to back India’s appeal to list the Pakistan-based terror group’s chief Masood Azhar as a global terrorist by the UN.

At least 40 CRPF personnel were killed and five injured on Thursday in one of the deadliest terror attacks in Jammu and Kashmir when a Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) suicide bomber rammed a vehicle carrying over 100 kg of explosives into their bus in Pulwama district.

Continue Reading

Politics

Rajinikanth and his party won’t contest 2019 Lok Sabha polls

News Desk

Published

on

Chennai | Actor turned politician Rajinikanth has announced that he along with his party Rajni Makkal Mandram won’t be contesting the upcoming Lok Sabha polls in 2019.

In an issued Press release Rajinikanth stated that his party Rajni Makkal Mandram (RMM) will not support any party and added that its focus will on next assembly elections. The Tamil actor also appealed to his supporters to that he wants them to vote for a party which will solve Tamil Nadu’s water issues.

Rajinikanth further mentioned that his photo or party symbol should strictly not be used for any propaganda. On 31 December 2017 Rajinikanth had announced his entry into politics with the intention to contest in the 2021 Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly elections in all 234 constituencies.

Out of the 2014 Lok Sabha election held on the 39 seats in Tamil Nadu, AIADMK won 37 seats while PMK and BJP managed to win 1 seat each. DMK and Congress failed to win even a single seat in Tamil Nadu.

Continue Reading

Politics

Lok Sabha polls: Mumbai Congress promises jobs, unemployment allowance

Published

on

By

Mumbai | The Mumbai Congress is set to roll out a campaign aimed at providing employment to youth in the megacity and a monthly allowance to unemployed people if the party is voted to power in the Lok Sabha polls.

The campaign, titled ‘Chalo Ward Abhiyaan’, taken up in view of the “rising unemployment in the country”, will commence from Monday, Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam said in a statement. The city Congress unit has already started working on the plan and printed around six lakh forms, he said.

The Youth Congress workers will be visiting every house in all the Assembly segments in Mumbai to ensure that every youngster fills these forms, Nirupam said. “Those who fill the forms will be given allowance cards. If we are voted to power, the allowance card holders will be given preference in employment, or else they will provided unemployment allowance,” he said.

Nirupam said people between 18 and 40 years of age would be eligible for the unemployment allowance. The new Congress-led governments in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh have already announced unemployment allowances of Rs 3,500 and Rs 4,000 per month respectively, he noted.

Nirupam also said that unlike the ruling BJP, the Congress will “actually walk the talk”, if it is voted to power in the Lok Sabha elections.

Continue Reading

Popular Stories

Copyright © 2018 Theo Connect Pvt. Ltd. info@hwnews.in