The first session of 17th Lok Sabha commenced here Monday with Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is also the leader of the House, taking oath as Member.
As soon as the House met, the Members stood in silence for a few minutes as per the convention after the assembling of the new Lok Sabha.
When Modi’s name was called out, Members from the ruling NDA thumped the desk greeting the Prime Minister with slogans such as ‘Modi Modi’ and “Bharat Mata ki Jai.
The panel of presiding officers – K Suresh, Brijbhushan Sharan Singh and B Mehtab – took oath as Members after the Prime Minister.
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, Home Minister Amit Shah, Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari, and Chemical and Fertilisers Minister D V Sadanand Gowda also took oath.
- Navneet Kaur Rana, independent MP from Amravati (Maharashtra) on slogans of ‘Jai Sri Ram’ raised in Parliament when members were taking oath: This is not the right place, temples are there for it. All gods are same but targeting someone and taking that name, it’s wrong.
Pragya Singh Thakur takes oath as Lok Sabha MP.
- Congress President Rahul Gandhi: My 4th consecutive term as a Member of the Lok Sabha begins today. Representing Wayanad, Kerala, I begin my new innings in Parliament by taking my oath this afternoon, affirming that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the Constitution of India.
Union Minister BJP MP Dr Jitendra Singh took oath in Dogri as member of 17th Lok Sabha.
Union Minister and BJP MP Dr Harsh Vardhan oath in Sanskrit as member of 17th Lok Sabha.
BJP MP from Uttar Pradesh’s Amethi, Smriti Zubin Irani takes oath as member of the 17th Lok Sabha.
Union Minister and Shiromani Akali Dal MP from Bathinda, Harsimrat Kaur Badal takes oath as member of the 17th Lok Sabha
BJP President and Home Minister Amit Shah takes oath as member of the 17th Lok Sabha.
BJP MP and Defence Minister Rajnath Singh takes oath as member of the 17th Lok Sabha.
Union Minister and BJP MP Nitin Gadkari takes oath as member of the 17th Lok Sabha.
17th Lok Sabha: Prime Minister Narendra Modi takes oath of duty
- PM Modi: “The role of an active Opposition is important. The opposition need not bother about their numbers. I hope they will speak actively and participate in house proceedings.”
- PM Modi: After several decades, a govt has won absolute majority for the second term. People have given us the chance to serve the country again. I request all the parties to support the decisions that are in favour of people
- PM Modi: Today, a new session is starting, there are new hopes and dreams with the beginning of this session. Since independence, this Lok Sabha elections saw highest number of women voters and women MPs.
BJP MP Virendra Kumar takes oath as the Protem Speaker of the 17th Lok Sabha, at Rashtrapati Bhawan.