Connect with us

International

Donald Trump says he wants to negotiate a fair deal with China

Published

on

Donald Trump

Washington | President Donald Trump has said he is willing to negotiate a fair deal with China and want the Asian giant to open its market like the US.

Having slapped China with additional tariff on import of its products worth USD250 billion, Trump did not rule out coming up with more tariffs on Chines products. In an interview with CBS News’s popular ’60 Minute’ programme, Trump described this as a skirmish, and not war or a battle as being characterised by experts, and asserted that he would win this against China. If things does not improve, he might not have a good relationship with his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping, he said.

“I have a great chemistry also with President Xi of China. I don’t know that that’s necessarily going to continue. I told President Xi we cannot continue to have China take USD500 billion a year out of the United States in the form of trade and others things,” Trump told CBS news in his interview.

Xi is one of the few world leaders to have been hosted by Trump at his Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida. Trump has travelled to China and has met Xi multiple times after he became the US President On January 20, 2017. However, the relationship has deteriorated since then and has now reached an all time low since the historic visit of the then US President Richard Nixon in 1972.

Responding to a question, Trump claimed that China, even if it wants, cannot retaliate beyond a point. “They can retaliate, but they can’t — they don’t have enough ammunition to retaliate. We do USD100 billion (worth of business) with them. They do USD531 billion with us,” he said. He denied that he wanted to push the Chinese economy into depression.

“No no, although they’re down 32 per cent in four months, which is 1929,” he said. “I don’t want that. No, I don’t want that. I want them to negotiate a fair deal with us. I want them to open their markets like our markets are open,” Trump said, reiterating that he wants a fair deal with China.

Trump exuded confidence that he will win what he described as a “skirmish” with China. “I called it, actually I called it a battle. But, actually, I’m gonna lower that. I consider it a skirmish. And we’re gonna win,” he said.

International

A leader who doesn’t take timely U-turns is not a real leader: Imran Khan

Published

on

By

Imran Khan

Islamabad | Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan on Friday said a leader who does not take timely “U-turns” is not a “real leader”.

During an interaction with journalists at the PM House, Khan cited an example from his cricket days when he led Pakistan’s national team said, “We used to make a strategy and then step out into the field but if the opponent team formed a strategy against ours then we would have to change it.”

To buttress his point, the 66-year-old cricketer-turned-politician also referred to Adolf Hitler and Napoleon Bonaparte, Geo News reported. “Hitler and Napoleon suffered huge defeats and caused losses as they did not take U-turns,” it quoted Khan as saying. “If you are walking and there is a wall in front of you, then you will have to change and find another way,” the Geo News journalist quoted Imran as explaining.  “A leader who does not take U-turns as per the requirements of the situation is not a real leader,” The News quoted Khan as saying.

Khan also attacked former prime minister Nawaz Sharif, saying what he told an accountability court on Friday was not a U-turn but a “lie”. “What Nawaz Sharif did in court was not a U-turn but a lie,” Khan said, apparently referring to the Pakistan Muslim League supremo telling the court that he had never had any transaction with Qatari Prince Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al-Thani.

Sharif is currently facing trial in three corruption cases filed against him and his family by the National Accountability Bureau on a directive from the Supreme Court in the Panama Papers scandal. Khan said his government will uphold the decisions taken by the Supreme Court.

Continue Reading

International

Sri Lankan Parliament disrupted again, adjourned until Monday amid political crisis

Published

on

By

Sri Lanka

Colombo | Rival Sri Lankan lawmakers threw chilli powder and furniture at each other and disrupted the proceedings of Parliament for a second day Friday, forcing Speaker Karu Jayasuriya to summon police inside the House and adjourn the session until Monday.

The brawl occurred a day after the Speaker announced there is no prime minister or government following a no-confidence motion against disputed prime minister Mahinda Rajapaksa. Friday’s proceedings were to repeat the floor test which was disrupted on Thursday.

President Maithripala Sirisena, who installed Rajapaksa as prime minister last month in a controversial move, had agreed for a floor test with the leaders of ousted prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe’s coalition during crisis talks last night.

The MPs supporting Rajapaksa took over the seat of the Speaker, delaying the proceedings, officials said. They shouted slogans against Jayasuriya broke furniture. Some Rajapakse loyalists were also seen throwing chilli powder at rival legislators and police, Colombo Gazette reported.

The Speaker summoned police inside Parliament chamber after 45 minutes of disruption. One of the rioting MPs Arundika Fernando occupied the seat of the Speaker with more MPs surrounding it. Gamini Jayawickrema Perera, a senior parliamentarian, was injured in the melee.

The rioting United People’s Freedom Alliance (UPFA) members demanded the arrest of two legislators of the Wickremesinghe’s United National Party (UNP). They charged that two UNP legislators, Palitha Thewarapperuma and Ranjan Ramanayake were carrying knives during the brawl which took place yesterday. Yesterday, UPFA MP Dilum Amunugama was injured in clashes inside the chamber.

Police Friday protected Jayasuriya from the rioting MPs as he called the Tamil National Alliance lawmaker MA Sumanthiran to propose the suspension of the standing orders. Jayasuriya on the basis of a voice vote announced that the motion against Rajapaksa was defeated as physical voting could not take place due to the brawl.  The rioting MPs threw books at the police. Jayasuriya immediately suspended the sittings until November 19 and left the House surrounded by police.

President Sirisena said that he would not ‘prorogue the Parliament under any circumstances.’ “I urge all Parliamentarians to uphold principles of democracy parliamentary traditions at all times. I will not prorogue Parliament under any circumstances,” the president tweeted. The trouble erupted in Parliament on Thursday when the Speaker agreed to a request from ousted premier Wickremesinghe’s UNP that a vote be taken on a statement made by Rajapaksa demanding fresh polls.

Jayasuriya allowed Rajapaksa to make a statement as a lawmaker after stating that he does not recognise the claim of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party (SLFP) leader who lost a no-confidence motion on Wednesday. Rajapaksa’s side has disputed the no-trust motion, saying proper procedure was not followed and accused Jayasuriya of bias towards his own party.

Parliament on Wednesday passed the no-confidence motion against Rajapaksa after the Supreme Court overturned the presidential decree to dissolve the House and hold snap polls on January 5. Amid raucous scenes, Parliament on Wednesday met for the first time since October 26, when Sirisena sacked premier Wickremesinghe, installed Rajapaksa in his place and suspended the House, plunging the island nation into an unprecedented Constitutional crisis.

The vote of no confidence against Rajapaksa has further complicated the political crisis. It is not yet clear whether Rajapaksa will resign or whether the ousted Wickremesinghe, who has the support of 122 lawmakers in the 225-member House, will return to power.

Continue Reading

International

Julian Assange charged in US: WikiLeaks

Published

on

By

Julian Assange

Washington | WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, who was behind a massive dump of classified US documents in 2010, has been charged in the United States, WikiLeaks said on Thursday. Prosecutors revealed the existence of the sealed indictment inadvertently in a court filing in an unrelated case, WikiLeaks said.

The exact nature of the charges against Assange was not immediately known. “SCOOP: US Department of Justice ‘accidentally’ reveals existence of sealed charges (or a draft for them) against WikiLeaks’ publisher Julian Assange in apparent cut-and-paste error in an unrelated case also at the Eastern District of Virginia,” Wikileaks wrote on Twitter. The still unsealed charges against Assange were disclosed by Assistant US Attorney Kellen Dwyer as she made a filing in the unrelated case and urged a judge to keep that filing sealed.

Dwyer wrote, “due to the sophistication of the defendant and the publicity surrounding the case, no other procedure is likely to keep confidential the fact that Assange has been charged,” according to The Washington Post. Later, Dwyer wrote the charges would “need to remain sealed until Assange is arrested.”

US media were alerted late Thursday to the inadvertent disclosure thanks to a tweet from Seamus Hughes, deputy director of the Program on Extremism at George Washington University. He is known to follow court filings closely.

Continue Reading

Popular Stories

Copyright © 2018 Theo Connect Pvt. Ltd.