Connect with us

International News

Modi, Xi agree to issue strategic guidance to their militaries to strengthen communications: FS By K J M Varma

Published

on

Modi

The two leaders, Modi and Xi recognised terrorism as a common threat and committed to cooperate further on counter-terrorism.

 

Wuhan, Apr 28 (PTI):  Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping have decided to issue strategic guidance to their respective militaries to strengthen communications and to build trust and understanding, a top Indian diplomat said today.
Briefing reporters at the end of an unprecedented two-day informal summit between the two leaders in the central Chinese city, Foreign Secretary Vijay Gokhale said the two leaders underscored that it is important to maintain peace and tranquillity in all areas of the India-China border region.
“And to this end, the two leaders decided that they would issue strategic guidance to their respective militaries, to strengthen communications, to build trust and understanding, to implement various confidence-building measures which have already been agreed upon by the two sides and to strengthen existing institutional mechanisms to prevent and manage situations in the border areas,” he said.
His remarks came at the end of the ‘heart-to-heart’ summit between Modi and Xi which is being seen as an effort by India and China to rebuild trust and improve ties that were hit by the 73-day-long Dokalam standoff last year.
“The two leaders were of the view that the two countries have the maturity and wisdom to handle all our differences through peaceful discussions within the context of the overall relationships and bearing in mind, we would respect each other’s sensitivities, concerns and aspirations,” Gokhale said.
They agreed to strengthen greater strategic communications between the two sides, he said.
The two leaders recognised terrorism as a common threat and committed to cooperate further on counter-terrorism, the top Indian diplomat said.

International News

Lankan MPs seek suspension of state funds allocated to Rajapaksa

Published

on

By

Rajapaksa

The Parliament, which was convened Monday for a third-floor test against Rajapaksa, was adjourned just 10 minutes after its opening.

 

Colombo| Sri Lankan lawmakers have submitted a motion to Parliament seeking the suspension of state funds allocated to disputed Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa, who has lost two no-confidence motions.

The Ousted prime minister Ranil Wickremesinghe‘s United National Party Parliamentarian Navin Dissanayake said that six United National Front MPs handed over the motion to be debated in Parliament, the Colombo Gazette reported Monday.

They are of the opinion that state funds of the “illegitimate Prime Minister” should be suspended forthwith, the paper said.

The motion is to be placed in the order paper and debated and a vote taken on the November 29, it added.

The Parliament, which was convened Monday for a third-floor test against Rajapaksa, was adjourned just 10 minutes after its opening.

The public and VIP galleries were shut for diplomats on a request by Rajapaksa’s United People’s Freedom Alliance. The security was also tightened to prevent any incident, officials said.

Sri Lanka is witnessing a political crisis since President Maithripapala Sirisena abruptly sacked prime minister Wickremesinghe and installed ex-strongman Rajapaksa in his place on October 26.

Sirisena later dissolved Parliament, almost 20 months before its term was to end, and ordered a snap election. The Supreme Court on Tuesday overturned President Sirisena’s decision to dissolve Parliament and halted the preparations for snap polls on January 5.

Monday’s session was conducted peacefully. The House was adjourned till November 23 ten minutes after its opening.

Last week, Sri Lanka’s parliament witnessed unprecedented violence as lawmakers threw furniture and chilli powder at each other.

Continue Reading

International News

Trump to visit California fire scene as death toll rises

Published

on

By

california

The California fire blaze that started Nov 8 razed the town of Paradise, population 27,000, and heavily damaged the outlying communities of Magalia and Concow. 

 

Paradise| President Donald Trump heads to Northern California on Saturday to see firsthand the grief and devastation from the deadliest US wildfire in a century, as confusion continued over how many people remain unaccounted for.

Authorities confirmed a new death toll of 71 and say they are trying to locate 1,011 people even as they stressed that not all are believed missing.

California’s outgoing and incoming governors, both Democrats and vocal critics of Trump, planned to join the president Saturday.

Gov Jerry Brown and Gov-elect Gavin Newsom welcomed Trump‘s visit, declaring it’s time “to pull together for the people of California.”

The blaze that started Nov 8 all but razed the town of Paradise, population 27,000, and heavily damaged the outlying communities of Magalia and Concow.

It destroyed more than 9,800 homes and at its height displaced 52,000 people. Details of Trump’s itinerary had not been released late Friday.

This patch of California, a former Gold Rush region in the Sierra Nevada foothills, is to some extent Trump country, with Trump beating Hillary Clinton in Butte County by 4 percentage points in 2016.

But Trump has stirred resentment among survivors over comments he made two days after the disaster on Twitter, then reiterated on the eve of his visit.

In an interview taped Friday and scheduled for broadcast on “Fox News Sunday,” Trump said he was surprised to see images of firefighters removing dried brush near a fire, adding, “This should have been all raked out.”

Asked if he thought climate change contributed to the fires, he said: “Maybe it contributes a little bit. The big problem we have is management.”

Those comments echoed his initial reaction to the fires Nov 10 when he blamed the wildfires on poor forest management and threatened then to withhold federal payments. Trump subsequently approved a federal disaster declaration.

“If you insult people, then you go visit them, how do you think you’re going to be accepted? You’re not going to have a parade,” Maggie Crowder of Magalia said this week outside an informal shelter at a Walmart store in Chico.

But Stacy Lazzarino, who voted for Trump, said it would be good for the president to see the devastation up close: “I think by maybe seeing it he’s going to be like ‘Oh, my goodness,’ and it might start opening people’s eyes.”

Firefighters returning to a command center in the neighboring city of Chico after a 24-hour shift Friday were reluctant to weigh in on Trump’s visit, but some shared their thoughts.

Nick Shawkey, a CalFire captain from rural Northern California, said Trump’s visit was the mark of a good leader.

But to imply the state was to blame for mismanaging the forests was based on a misunderstanding because much of the forest land in California is controlled by the US Forest Service, he said.

“The thing he’s tweeting about is his property,” Shawkey said. Paul Briones, a firefighter from Bakersfield, predicted Trump’s visit would be a huge boost to the community, showing “that this on a national level is a priority.”

More than 5,500 fire personnel were battling the blaze that covered 228 square miles (590 square kilometers) and was 50 percent contained officials said.

Firefighters were racing against time with a red flag warning issued for Saturday night into Sunday, including winds up to 50 mph and low humidity. The rain was forecast for mid-week, which could help firefighters but also complicate the challenging search for remains.

“It’s a disheartening situation,” Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea told a news conference Friday.  “As much as I wish we could get through this before the rains come, I don’t know if that’s possible.”

The number of people unaccounted for grew to more than 1,000 on Friday. But Honea acknowledged the list was “dynamic” and could easily contain duplicate names and unreliable spellings of names. The roster probably includes some who fled the blaze and do not realize they’ve been reported missing, he said. “We are still receiving calls. We’re still reviewing emails,” Honea said. “This is a massive undertaking. We have hundreds and hundreds of people working on this.”

Families searching for loved ones have scoured shelters and social media and say they understand the chaos of the situation, But the wait for information is agonizing. For one family, good news arrived by telephone.

Monica Whipple said Friday she was boarding a plane back to North Carolina from Northern California when she got a call two days ago that her mother, Donna Price, had been found alive. Price had been presumed missing but was tracked down at a shelter.

“It was so crazy, I started crying in front of everybody,” Whipple said. “She’s doing OK.” For too many others, the wait to learn a loved one’s fate has ended with bad news.

Sol Bechtold searched for his 75-year-old mother, Caddy, posting flyers of her on bulletin boards and searching for her in shelters. On Thursday, Bechtold went to the Butte County Sheriff to provide DNA samples.

As he was driving back to his home in Pleasanton, California, he got a call from an officer with the coroner’s unit of the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office and was told his mother’s remains were found in her home in the community of Magalia.

Continue Reading

International News

Pence slams China’s ‘opaque’ chequebook diplomacy, trade practices

Published

on

By

pence

Comments from Pence came after Chinese President Xi Jinping said that protectionist actions were short-sighted stressing that there would be no winners from a trade war or a new cold war.

 

Port Moresby| US Vice President Mike Pence pilloried China’s “opaque” cheque book diplomacy in a combative speech Saturday, taking aim at Beijing’s business practices and warning trade tariffs would remain in place.

US-China trade tensions are likely to take center stage at the APEC regional summit, with experts warning the spat could be catastrophic for the global economy, as the world’s top two powers go head to head.

In a wide-ranging swipe at Beijing that covered everything from China’s massive “Belt and Road” infrastructure initiative to allegations of unfair trade practices, Pence encouraged Pacific nations to embrace the United States.

Washington’s diplomacy wouldn’t involve a “constricting belt or a one-way road”, he pointedly told CEOs from around the region.

He also put China on notice that it would need to make concessions in the confrontation over trade. “We’ve put tariffs on USD 250 billion in Chinese goods and that number could more than double,” he said. “We hope for better, but the United States will not change course until China changes its ways”.

Pence’s comments came after Chinese President Xi Jinping told the same forum that protectionist actions were short-sighted and doomed to fail, stressing that there would be no winners from a trade war or a new cold war.

“Attempts to erect barriers and cut close economic ties work against the laws of economics and the trends of history. This is a short-sighted approach and it is doomed to failure,” Xi told business leaders on the sidelines of the summit.

“We should say no to protectionism and unilateralism,” Xi said, in a veiled attack on the “America First” policies of Donald Trump’s administration.

APEC members the US and China have imposed tariffs worth billions of dollars of each other’s goods and there is little sign of an immediate easing in tensions, with both sides threatening to step up action if necessary.

With concerns growing that rivalry between the US and China could escalate, Xi warned against going down that road.

“History has shown that confrontation — whether in the form of a cold war, hot war or trade war — will produce no winners,” he said.

Continue Reading

Popular Stories

Copyright © 2018 Theo Connect Pvt. Ltd.