The Mizoram government said it would withdraw the FIR filed against Himanta Biswa Sarma over the Assam-Mizoram Border Dispute.
For the first time since the clashes along the Assam-Mizoram border almost a week ago, Chief Ministers of the two states sought to reduce the level of tensions between their people and security personnel.
The Assam CM tweeted on Monday that he has directed the Police to withdraw the FIR against K Vanlalvena, the Rajya Sabha MP from Mizoram who had allegedly made “threatening statements” about the border violence issue. The Mizoram government also said it would withdraw the FIR filed against Himanta Biswa Sarma.
The developments came after Union Home Minister Amit Shah had a telephonic discussion with Sarma and Mizoram CM Zoramthanga towards a peaceful resolution of the border differences. After the talks, Zoramthanga said in a tweet: “In order to prevent any possible escalation of the situation, I request the people of Mizoram to avoid posting sensitive messages and make judicious use of their social media platform.”
Assam CM Sarma said, what happened along the border was “unacceptable to the people of both the states”. “Our main focus is on keeping the spirit of North-East alive… Honble CM @ZoramthangaCM had promised to call me post his quarantine. Border disputes can only be resolved through discussion,” he said in a tweet.
Since the border clashes which killed six Assam police personnel, there had been a dead-end with no solution, as both states stationing their forces at the border weren’t ready to back down.
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.