In the last few days, many incidents came into the light where hungry and thirsty migrants looted food and water bottles at various railway stations.
New Delhi| The Supreme Court passed interim orders today in regards to transportation of migrant workers that has been a topic of controversy since the centre started Shramik Trains since May 1. In the last few days, many incidents came into the light where hungry and thirsty migrants looted food and water bottles at various railway stations. Several migrants have died on these special trains due to hunger or thirst in this sizzling heat. A heartwrenching video of a child trying to wake his dead mother up went viral on the internet. The Supreme Court had sought replies from the central and state governments on this issue. SC said the major problem currently is “transportation of migrants and providing them food”
Important takeaways from the order issued by Supreme Court today:
- As and when the state governments put in a request for trains, railways has to provide them. Migrants should not be charged any fare for bus or trains used for transporting them. State governments should share the expenses of the fare.
- Stranded migrant workers should be provided with food by the concerned state governments. Such places should be publicised and notified so that no one goes hungry.
- On the train journeys, the originating states should provide meals and water. The railways should provide a meal and water. Food and water should also be provided on buses.
- The state shall oversee the registration of migrants and ensure that they board a bus or train at the earliest. Complete information should be provided to all the concerned persons.
- Those migrant workers found walking on the streets should immediately be taken to shelters and provided with food and water.