Speaking to media, a first of its kind event in the history of Indian Democracy the supreme court judges said they had no choice left but to take their concern to media.
12 January 2018. Today’s date will be imbibed in the history of Indian judiciary as nothing less than historic. Four judges of Supreme Court- the apex institution of the country today came out in front of media because they had no choice left. It is for the first time in the history of the World’s largest democracy that sitting judges of Supreme Court accused the Chief justice of India of ignoring the concerns that endanger the democracy.
Justice Chelameswar, Justice Gogoi, Justice Lokur and Justice Kurian Joseph had called the press conference regarding the allocation of cases to judges. Here are the highlights from the Press conference:
- “It is a historic day for Indian democracy. The judicial administration is not functioning as it should be”: Justice Chelameshwar
- “Four judges of Supreme Court had written to CJI on a matter pertaining to Supreme Court’s administration. But it failed.”: Justice Chelameshwar
- “India’s Democracy is in a danger”: Justice Chelameshwar
- “We had no choice left but to come in front of the media. If we do not address the issue, we will be accused of not making efforts to save the judiciary”: Justice Chelameshwar
- “Judiciary’s loyalty has been questioned. We want that the concerns we have raised must be paid attention to.”: Justice Gogoi
We cannot turn a blind eye to this. We cannot ignore it. All of us, we are a part of this democracy and the issue raised by the four judges of Supreme Court affect us all. If their concern is not misplaced, then it is a very grave matter at present. If the apex authority of the world’s largest democracy does not listen to its own judges, then we must be worried about the concerns of the common man.
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.