“Kulbhushan Jadhav under extreme pressure”, says India after the meeting

New Delhi | Indian deputy high commissioner Gaurav Ahluwalia met Kulbhushan Jadhav on Monday, after much negotiation between India and Pakistan over terms and conditions for consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav.

Hours after the meeting, the government said that he “appeared to be under extreme pressure to parrot a false narrative to bolster Pakistan’s untenable claims.” This is the first time that an Indian diplomat was allowed consular access to Jadhav.

Gaurav Ahluwalia met Kulbhushan Jadhav on Monday at a sub-jail for an hour after Pakistan granted consular access to the Indian death-row convict “in line with the ICJ judgment”.

Despite India’s objections, Pakistani officials were present in the room where the meeting between Kulbhushan Jadhav and the Indian envoy took place. Not only were they present, but the entire proceeding was also recorded.

Ensuring transparency: Pakistan

After the meeting, Pakistan Foreign Office issued a statement in which it said that the proceedings were recorded to “ensure transparency”.

“Consular access was provided at 1200 hours and lasted for two (02) hours, in the presence of officials of the Government of Pakistan. On Indian request, there was no restriction on the language of communication. In order to ensure transparency and in line with standard operating procedures, and as conveyed to the Indian side in advance, the access was recorded”, Pakistan Foreign Office Spokesman Mohammad Faisal said.

On Sunday, Pakistan said it would grant consular access to Jadhav on Monday in line with the judgement by the International Court of Justice (ICJ). India accepted the offer Monday morning after “studying” it.

Dear Readers,
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.

Related posts