23-year-old man lying on Delhi road who was asked to sing national anthem, Dies

When questioned about the video on Tuesday, Delhi Police’s public relations officer MS Randhawa had said that they are investigating it

New Delhi: After few days have passed from Delhi violence, the 23-year-old man seen in a viral video from the national capital in which policemen can be seen making him and four other young men sing the national anthem has died of his injuries.

The man has been recognized as Faizan, a resident of Kardampuri in northeast Delhi, one of the areas were violence occurred.

The video emerged during the four days of unprecedented violence over the CAA in a part of Delhi, in which 42 people have died and hundreds injured. He died on Thursday.

The video from northeast Delhi – shows five men, injured, lying on a road and singing the national anthem. Some of them are being made to sing the national anthem. A group of policemen in riot gear can be seen standing around the men. Two of them are pointing their lathis on the faces of the men. “Acchi tarah gaa (sing well),” a male voice can be heard saying.

Faizan was declared dead at Delhi’s Guru Teg Bahadur (GTB) Hospital. His family alleges he and the other men were seen in the video were taken into police custody and beaten.

“Faizan and the others were beaten up badly. He was beaten with iron rods. His legs were broken. His entire body had turned black because of the beatings. First, he was beaten up on the road. The police must have taken him away. But I don’t know about that,” said Faizan’s mother

“I knew someone recognized Faizan and informed me, I went to the hospital, When I could not find him there, I went to the police station in Jyoti Colony. He was there, I showed the police the photo, they confirmed that he was there. I asked to meet him and to get him released. They didn’t let him meet me. I waited till 1 am,” she added.

Faizan’s mother said when she returned to the police station the next morning with two others, they were threatened with detention. “They called me up at 11 pm when he was almost dying,”. “He never participate in the protest,” said his relatives. After he was released by the police, the family took him to a local doctor.

According to media “When he came to me, his mother was saying that the police had beaten him and that the police took him to the station and left him after two days,” Dr Khaliq Ahmed ‘Sherwani’, who runs a clinic in Kardampuri,

“His blood pressure and pulse were low and he had to be sent to the hospital. He had head injuries and internal injuries. His back turned blue due injuries,” said the doctor.

When questioned about the video on Tuesday, Delhi Police’s public relations officer MS Randhawa had said that they are investigating it.

According to the police said over 500 people have been detained for the violence in northeast Delhi. There are allegations that at many places, where clashes between those who supported the Citizenship Amendment Act and those who opposed it were going on, there was no to minimal police presence. The Police had received about 13,200 distress calls during the four days when the northeastern part of the city was rocked by violence, but call records of police stations in the affected areas to raise serious doubts over the response to those calls.

Dear Readers,
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.

Related posts