Lucknow | Around 10 people have died and 18 were injured in Uttar Pradesh’s Sonbhadra district after a land dispute turned into a violent clash on Wednesday.
The entire dispute is based on a plot of land located in Sonbhadra’s Ghorawal area. The land belonged to an IAS officer who sold it to the village head Yagya Dutt. Dutt who wanted to take possession of the land reached the spot with his hench men in 10 to 12 tractors. The village heads henchmen then open fire at the villagers who opposed them from taking over the land.
Follow Live Updates:
- Priyanka Gandhi: Yes, we still won’t be cowed down. We were only going peacefully to meet victim families(of Sonbhadra firing case). I don’t know where are they taking me, we are ready to go anywhere.’
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra detained in Narayanpur by Police. Priyanka Gandhi: ‘I don’t know where are they taking me, we are ready to go anywhere.
— HW News English (@HWNewsEnglish) July 19, 2019
- CM Yogi: 29 criminals arrested till now, a single barrel gun, 3 double barrel guns & a rifle seized. Whoever is found responsible for this incident, strictest action will be taken against them.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra in Narayanpur: Just want to go and meet families of victims(Sonbhadra firing case),I even said will take only 4 ppl with me. Yet the administration is not letting us go there. They should tell us why we are being stopped. We will continue to sit here peacefully
- Section 144 has been imposed in the area
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra met the people who were injured in firing over a land dispute in Sonbhadra on July 17.
- Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath on Sonbhadra land dispute incident in which 10 people were killed: The foundation of this incident was laid in 1955 when the then Tehsildar did the unlawful act of registering the land of Gram Samaj in the name of Adarsh Cooperative society.
- Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, Congress General Secretary for Uttar Pradesh East arrives in Varanasi to meet the people who were injured in firing
- CM Yogi has also announced an ex-gratia of 5 lakh rupees to the deceased.
- CM Yogi directed the Additional Director General (Varanasi zone) and Mirzapur police commissioner to investigate the cause of the clash.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanth instructed state Director General of Police to personally monitor the case and ensure action against the culprits
- The police have filed a fir against 61 people and have arrested 24 people in the case along with Girish and Vimless, the nephews of the village head.
- 9 people have died on the spot while one scummed to injuries on Thursday.