Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray, in an emotional address to people of Maharashtra, resigned as the Chief Minister of Maharashtra. Thackeray also announced his resignation as member of legislative council. Thackeray resolved to never hold any political post in future and will head Shiv Sena.
Thackeray’s resignation came shortly after the Supreme Court upheld governor Koshyari’s order to hold floor test tomorrow.
Here are the main issues raised by Thackeray in his address:
- Took many important decisions as Chief Minister, especially renaming of Aurangabad as Sambhajinagar as envisaged by Balasaheb.
- Want to thank Sharad Pawar, Sonia Gandhi, and my colleagues from NCP and Congress.
- NCP, Congress did not oppose the decision to rename Aurangabad, Osmanabad, but those who always asked for it could not do the same.
- Balasaheb Thackeray made Rickshaw pullers, shopkeepers MLAs, MPs. But when they achieved everything because of us, they betrayed in the end.
- Today Supreme Court gave its verdict. We will have to accept it. Governor had ordered floor test, SC upheld it.
- Want to thank governor for protecting democracy. He quickly ordered floor test in a day after meeting opposition leaders.
- Congress’ Ashok Chavan offered to support government from outside if rebel MLAs are willing to come back.
- (addressing rebel MLAs) I respect your feelings, want to respect your feelings. But you have to come in front of me.
- Centre is beefing up security in Maharashtra. They have locked Shivsainiks in home. They have ordered central forces. They may order army also. Maybe they may order armies from neighboring countries. Do they want to paint city’s roads red?
- I appeal Shiv Sainiks to not interrupt this celebration of democracy. Let them do it, come and take oath tomorrow.
- They have pulled down from CM’s post the son of Balasaheb Thackeray, who gave everything to them in their life.
- I today sacrifice the CM’s post. I am not afraid, but I don’t want my Shiv Sainiks to get hurt.
- All this while the country was buring in communal fire, nothing happened in our Maharashtra. I want to thank the citizens for the same.
- I am not going anywhere. I am going to sit in Matoshree. I want to thank everyone.
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.