Last week, WHO’s biggest contributor, the US accused it of “mismanaging” the COVID-19 crisis and froze funding for the UN body.
Beijing| After the US froze funding to the World Health Organisation, China has again contributed $ 30 Million to united nations body in the fight against the novel coronavirus pandemic.
China’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson Hua Chunying said on Thursday that China has agreed to donate an additional $30 million to the World Health Organization (WHO) to support the global battle against COVID-19.
The donation was aimed in particular at empowering developing countries’ health systems, Hua Chunying said and added that China had already donated $20 million to the World Health Organisation in March.
Hua Chunying tweeted, “China has decided to donate additional $30 million in cash to WHO to support its global fight against #COVID19, in particular strengthening developing countries’ health systems. China already donated $20 million in cash to the WHO on March 11.”
China has decided to donate additional $30 million in cash to WHO to support its global fight against #COVID19, in particular strengthening developing countries' health systems. China already donated $20 million in cash to WHO on March 11.
— Hua Chunying 华春莹 (@SpokespersonCHN) April 23, 2020
The move comes soon after the United States President Donald Trump paused US funding to the WHO after he accused that the international group had “missed the call” on the pandemic.
Trump blamed the UN body over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic as governments fight with how and when to get their struggling economies back to work.
“The World Health Organisation failed in this basic duty and must be held accountable,” Trump told a White House news conference
Across the globe, the deadly and highly infectious pandemic has already killed more than 180,000 people and infected over 2.6 million since it first emerged in China late last year.