National

Nitish Kumar, Sushil Modi, Rabri Devi take oath in Bihar council

Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, his deputy Sushil Kumar Modi and predecessor Rabri Devi were among the 10 newly-elected members of the state legislative council to have been administered oath of office here today.

Eleven people had been declared elected unopposed to the legislative council on April 19, out of whom all but one were administered the oath by Deputy Chairman Haroon Rashid, a release from the Vidhan Parishad said.

Besides Kumar, Modi and Rabri Devi, others who took oath today included Sanjay Paswan (BJP), Prem Chandra Mishra (Congress), Rameshwar Mahto and Khalid Anwar (JDU), Ram Chandra Purve and Syed Khurshid Mohammed Mohsin (RJD) and Santosh Kumar Suman (HAM), it said.

State health minister and BJP leader Mangal Pandey was out of the station and likely to take oath at a later date.

All the 11 were declared elected unopposed since the number of candidates equalled the number of vacancies, which had necessitated the biennial elections to the Upper House.

Among those elected, Kumar, Modi, Pandey and Rabri Devi were sitting MLCs, and they have been re-elected.

Purve is the state president of the RJD, while Suman is the son of former CM Jitan Ram Manjhi, the founder and sole MLA of the Hindustani Awam Morcha.

Manjhi had quit the NDA and joined the RJD-Congress combine earlier this year.

The Congress has been able to send a member to the state legislative council after more than a decade, as it did not have the requisite number of MLAs during the period.

The biennial polls also saw tallies of the JD(U) and the BJP dropping by two and one, respectively, while that of the RJD rose by three.

Dear Readers,
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.
Some error occurred

Related posts

Politics

Chidambaram asks Mehbooba to quit ‘unholy’ alliance with BJP

TestHostEntry

New Delhi, May 8 (PTI) With violence and unrest continuing in Jammu and Kashmir, Congress leader P Chidambaram today asked Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti to quit the PDP-BJP coalition government saying the “unholy” alliance was the gravest provocation to the people of the Valley.

In a series of tweets, the former Home and Finance Minister claimed the “muscular and militaristic” approach of the central government has driven the state towards the present “catastrophic” situation.

“Mehbooba Mufti should break her party’s unholy and opportunistic coalition with the BJP. And go back to the philosophy of her father.

“The PDP-BJP coalition is the gravest provocation to the people of the Kashmir valley. Mehboobaji, quit the coalition immediately and go back to the people,” he said.

Chidambaram said he shared the Jammu and Kashmir chief minister’s concern that statesmanship required to get the state out of the vicious cycle of killings but it was sad that she does not see that her coalition government is the core of the problem.

“The central government’s muscular, militaristic approach to the J&K issue has driven the state towards the present catastrophic situation,” he said.

Mehbooba yesterday had urged the national leadership to show the element of compassion and display the statesmanship to get Jammu and Kashmir out of this “vicious cycle of killings”.

A tourist from Chennai died yesterday after he was hit on the head by a stone during a protest on the outskirts of Srinagar.

Five Hizbul Mujahideen militants, including an assistant professor of the Kashmir University, were killed in an encounter in the Valley on Sunday.

Five civilians, who were staging protests near the encounter site, were also killed in clashes with security forces.

Related posts

News Hub