Explainer India National News

Fresh Tensions In Manipur: Army Deployed, Senior Cop Briefly Abducted

Few Manipur Police commandos held a protest in Imphal on Wednesday. They were upset because a top police officer was kidnapped after he was trying to arrest militants. Protesting videos showed commandos putting down their weapons. They are unhappy with the government for not letting them deal with armed groups freely.

Until Wednesday morning, no one was arrested in connection with the kidnapping of Additional Police Superintendent M. Amit Singh.

Let me explain you the whole scenario in detail:

Tension arose in Manipur on Tuesday when members of the Arambai Tenggol, a Meitei group, reportedly kidnapped an additional superintendent of police in Imphal East district, according to the police.

The Manipur Police added that the abducted officer, Amit Singh, was promptly rescued by law enforcement and security personnel.

Amit Singh, an officer assigned to the operations wing of the Manipur Police, is currently
hospitalized, with his condition said to be stable. During the attack on Tuesday evening, armed members allegedly affiliated with the Arambai Tenggol vandalized his residence and caused damage to at least four vehicles through gunfire.

Amid escalating tension in Manipur, the Army was summoned, and four columns of the Assam Rifles were dispatched to Imphal East following the abduction of the police officer.

Why did the mob attack a Manipur Police officer?

Reports suggest that the firing happened because the officer had arrested six group members for
allegedly stealing vehicles.

After the arrests, a Meitei women’s group known as Meira Paibis protested by blocking roads and demanding the release of the arrested individuals.

Detailing the incident, M Kulla, the police officer’s father, said, “We tried to talk to the armed
men after they entered, but all of a sudden they started firing at the vehicles
and properties. So, we had to rush inside and lock ourselves.”M Kulla,
according to the officials, called his son and informed about the incident.

The officer and his team hurried to the scene but were taken by the group since they were outnumbered by the members of the Arambai Tenggol

as per reports The Manipur Police quickly responded, deploying forces for a successful rescue operation, ensuring Amit Kumar’s safe return within hours.

Dear Readers,
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.

Related posts