New York | The Donald Trump Administration in a statement filed in US court on Monday has said that more than 460 migrant parents who were separated from their children at the southern border might have already been deported without their kids.
According to the joint status report filed by attorneys for the American Civil Liberties Union and the Justice Department on Monday, of the 2,551 children ages 5 and older who were forcibly separated from their families under the Trump Administration’s “zero tolerance” policy, 1,187 have been reunited or released to other guardians so far. The administration missed the deadline ordered by the Judge to the Trump Administration to reunite all children ages 5 and up by Thursday.
The ACLU, who filed a case against Trump Administration for reuniting immigrant families, has asked the government for a list of parents who were removed from the country and a list of parents who were released from the custody of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, or ICE. “We are continuing to review their case notes and intend to provide updated data on these two categories of class members as soon as possible,” said Justice Department attorneys.
ACLU attorneys representing the families said, “These parents urgently need consultations with lawyers, so that they do not mistakenly strand their children in the United States, and Plaintiffs’ partners are ready to provide these consultations immediately.”
As an independent media platform, we do not take advertisements from governments and corporate houses. It is you, our readers, who have supported us on our journey to do honest and unbiased journalism. Please contribute, so that we can continue to do the same in future.