Connect with us

National

MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar raped the Unnao victim, confirms CBI

News Desk

Published

on

unnao

In a major development in the politically sensitive Unnao rape case, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has reportedly confirmed rape charge against Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) MLA Kuldeep Singh Sengar. The CBI probe has corroborated the survivor’s charge that Kuldeep Singh Sengar raped her at his home in Uttar Pradesh’s Makhi village on June 4 last year while his female accomplice, Shashi Singh, stood guard outside the room.

The central agency is also reported to have found the local police at fault. According to the report, the police did not name Sengar and some other accused in the FIR, even as the survivor mentioned their involvement several times.

The police, a CBI officer said, also delayed the girl’s medical examination and didn’t send the vaginal swab or her clothes to the forensic laboratory. “This was all deliberate and in connivance with the accused persons,” he added.

“The girl was raped on June 4 by the MLA after she was brought to his house by Shashi Singh on the pretext of providing her a job. Between June 4 and June 10, the girl didn’t speak as she had been threatened. On June 11, she was abducted by three persons — Shubham Singh, Awadh Narayan and Brijesh Yadav. From June 11 to 19, the girl was kept mostly in an SUV and repeatedly gang-raped by these three while on the move,” a daily quoted a CBI source as describing the sequence of events established by the agency.

The case had led to a massive public outrage after the victim tried to set herself ablaze outside Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath’s residence on April 8, claiming police inaction in the case. Following the outrage, an FIR was lodged against Sengar. The Uttar Pradesh government later handed over the case to CBI.

National

Kerala Floods: Diageo India donates 1 crore for the Kerala relief fund

News Desk

Published

on

Kerala

Thiruvananthapuram | India’s leading beverage company Diageo India on Sunday donated 1 crore rupee towards the Chief Minister Disaster Relief Fund (CMDRF) for the flood-affected people of Kerala.

Kerala is facing one of the worst floods in his history with the loss of 21,000 crores already been suffered by the state. Around 6,80,247 people have been forced to stay in relief camps due to constant rains and flood like situation in the state. Chief Minister P Vijayan has appealed to the citizens of Kerala to stay ‘united as one’ to tackle this difficult situation faced by the state.

Kerala Chief Minister P Vijayan today met Diageo India’s officials and acknowledged their contribution towards the relief work of the state. After meeting the Kerala Chief Minister, Diageo India COO (South) Mathew Xavier said, “Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Kerala in this difficult time. It is our endeavour to support communities during tough situations, and our contribution is a step towards rebuilding the state. We will continue to provide any additional help that the state may require in the days to come.”

Meanwhile, the MET department has informed that the state could get a relief from rains in the next 24 hours. Similarly, the red alert warning has removed from the major districts in the state except for Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam and Kasaragod.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi also made an Aerial review of the situation in the flood-affected regions of Kerala along with CM P Vijayan. PM Modi has announced a relief package worth 500 crores for the state of Kerala.  An ex-gratia of Rs. 2 lakh to the next kin of the deceased and Rs. 50,000 to those critically injured is also been announced by PM Modi.

Continue Reading

National

President Kovind enquires about flood situation in Kerala

Published

on

By

Kerala

New Delhi | President Ram Nath Kovind spoke to Kerala Governor P Sathasivam and Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan today to enquire about flood situation in the state.

“He acknowledged the grit and resilience of the people of Kerala in coming together in this trying hour. Assured the people of the state that entire nation was with them,” Rashtrapati Bhavan tweeted today.

President Kovind expressed satisfaction that the Union and state governments were working together and in synergy in rescue and relief operations in the flood-hit state. “He praised relief agencies such as NDRF and public officials at state and central level for their response and commitment,” it said.

The death toll has touched 197 in the past 10 days. Many people are still stranded in their homes with no food and sheaths of water around them.

Continue Reading

National

Contribute 1 month salary for Kerala flood relief; Puducherry CM to MPs,MLAs

Published

on

By

V Narayanasamy

Puducherry | Puducherry Chief Minister V Narayanasamy today urged all MPs from the union territory and MLAs to contribute one month’s salary to the Kerala Flood Relief Fund.

The contributions can be made to the Chief Minister’s Relief Fund and it would be forwarded to the Kerala Chief Minister’s distress relief fund, he told reporters here.

He said readers’ associations, members of the public and others could also contribute in kind, all of which would be despatched to Kerala. The Puducherry government had already announced an assistance of Rs one crore on its part to the fund.

Kerala has been ravaged by heavy rains in the second spell of monsoon fury since August 8, which has claimed the lives of 197 people.

Continue Reading

Popular Stories