Politics

NCP chief Sharad Pawar won’t contest upcoming Lok Sabha elections, confirms Ajit Pawar

Mumbai | Nationalist Congress Party leader Ajit Pawar on Sunday cleared rumours around NCP chief Sharad Pawar not contesting the upcoming Lok Sabha elections.

Addressing a press conference, the former minister said, “Sharad Pawar remains our supreme leader. He is 78 years old now and he feels that he shouldn’t contest the Lok Sabha polls. Some party workers in Pune had requested him to contest but he told them clearly that he won’t contest and his name should not be proposed from any seat.” He further added that the senior leader has also asked party workers to suggest the name of “any other candidate that they may have in mind.

NCP in its two-day meeting of the senior leaders regarding the upcoming Lok Sabha election has demanded a 50-50 seat-sharing formula for Maharashtra’s 48 Lok Sabha seats in its alliance talks with the Congress. Earlier in 2014, Congress contested 27 seats while the NCP had contested on the remaining 21 seats. Responding to the demand Maharashtra Congress Chief and former Chief Minister Ashok Chavan said that the next meeting of the Congress and NCP leaders to discuss seat-sharing will be held on October 12.

Out of the 48 Lok Sabha seats in Maharashtra, NCP currently has 4 seats while the Congress is restricted to just 2 seats.

 

Related posts