India, China Agree To Disengage Troops From Gogra Heights In Eastern Ladakh

India, China Agree To Disengage Troops From Gogra Heights In Eastern Ladakh

Since May last year, the two sides had deployed their troops against each other in this region.

India and China, in a significant step towards resolving the Ladakh standoff, have agreed to disengage their troops from the Gogra Heights area of eastern Ladakh. Since May last year, the two sides had deployed their troops against each other in this region.

India and China agreed to disengage troops in the Gogra Heights area during the 12th Corps Commander-level talks on Saturday, sources in the government said, India Today reported. This meeting, which lasted for nearly 9 hours, was held at Moldo on the Chinese side of the Line of Actual Control (LAC).

Earlier, a joint statement by both India and China on Monday said the Indian and Chinese armies have agreed to resolve the remaining issues in eastern Ladakh in an “expeditious manner”.

The joint statement, issued two days after the India-China military talks, said both sides had a “candid and in-depth exchange” relating to disengagement along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Western Sector of India-China border areas.

“The two sides noted that this round of meeting was constructive, which further enhanced mutual understanding. They agreed to resolve these remaining issues in an expeditious manner in accordance with the existing agreements and protocols and maintain the momentum of dialogue and negotiations,” the statement said.

“The two sides also agreed that in the interim they will continue their effective efforts in ensuring stability along the LAC in the Western Sector and jointly maintain peace and tranquillity,” the statement added.


Next Story
Share it
Top
To Top